Classical Piano pre 1960 - Enjoying 24/96 remasters
Jan 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

utilisateur

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered some new piano recordings last month and just got the last one today.
I was awaiting them eagerly as they appeared to be of acceptable quality aswell,
or atleast i thought so as they were digital remasters in 24bit 96kHz.
Most recordings are realy old but to me that didn't mean much as i have listened to several recordings of this aera with great fidelity.

[size=small]Now listening to my new CDs, ALL of them have an awfull lot of distortion and clipping!
The piano sounds heavily coloured muffled and its ringing, not just a bit but you might come to the conclusion your not listening to piano music but some arrangement for piano and a telephone bell.[/size]

Did i just pick a bad examples for remastering? Are those specific recordings just plain bad/has the tapes quality degraded that much already?

Or did i just discover i cant listen to old recordings anymore because my (modest) gear exposes the flaw just to blatantly?

I recently acquired remasters of Glenn Gould performance of bachs Goldbergvariations
11465_231657_front.jpg

and this CD
51P6V3f4YnL._SS500_.jpg

of Bartok playing his own works
and goodman and szigeti playing Kontraste by Bartok

+ today a compilation of Horowitz playing a collection of classical piano pieces
222353_front.jpg

now all of them are said to be remastered with 24bits and 96kHz and come form membran Music

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Are those SACDs , or just redbook that downrezed the 24/96 to 16/44?

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 3
They are Redbook CDs

So the higher rez just applies for the mastering, ....
quality is more like clipped CC though
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back