Classical Musiciain/Gamer new to headphone audio stage
Jan 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

The Musician

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

Long story short - I play violin and I game and I would like to buy something good for both listening to classical and gaming and I would love to be able to use them in public. VModa Boompro compatibility would be great but I wouldn't mind using the ModMic.

Headphones that grabbed my attention so far are:

B&O H6 V2}
out of these 2 which is better?
ATH MSR7}

Phillips Fidelio X2 (although those are open so I'd rather not get them)

If you have any better suggestions I would very much appreciate them. Being easy to drive is a requirement as I don't really want to deal with an amp/dac. My budget is about 250eu.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the answer! Could you maybe tell me why? I have read some things about them and opinion seems to be very divided on those - much more than on the H6..

Also what about DT770 32 Ohm version?
More neutral, more detailed, broader sound stage and is cheaper, it is more recommended for this genre since its signature is brighter than Beoplay H6, Beyer, well it was not made for portable use due to its size , not to mention that the cable is not detachable, and I suppose you will not want to walk in the street dragging a cable of 3 meters right? :p

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 10
More neutral, more detailed, broader sound stage and is cheaper, it is more recommended for this genre since its signature is brighter than Beoplay H6, Beyer, well it was not made for portable use due to its size , not to mention that the cable is not detachable, and I suppose you will not want to walk in the street dragging a cable of 3 meters right? :p

What if the H6 V2 is on sale for 180eu? :D

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 10
What if the H6 V2 is on sale for 180eu? :D
I'll be honest with you, I've never tried either, but from what I've learned about audio is that sound is something subjective and not always the most expensive is the best, sometimes it's just different, but by revisions that I read about them is that the ATH-MSR7 has a more detailed sound and a broader sound stage, I would prefer the Beoplay H6 for being more colorful since it suits my taste better in EDM, but for classical music, jazz, acoustic and other genres involving more instrumental music I would choose the ATH-MSR7, but I believe both will give you what you are looking for.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 10
I'll be honest with you, I've never tried either, but from what I've learned about audio is that sound is something subjective and not always the most expensive is the best, sometimes it's just different, but by revisions that I read about them is that the ATH-MSR7 has a more detailed sound and a broader sound stage, I would prefer the Beoplay H6 for being more colorful since it suits my taste better in EDM, but for classical music, jazz, acoustic and other genres involving more instrumental music I would choose the ATH-MSR7, but I believe both will give you what you are looking for.

I see! Sorry for so many questions I am obviously quite oblivious when it comes to actual good headphones. I will still look into it further before commiting to a buy :) Thank you so much for the help! If anyone would have any further suggestions please do share them!

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 10
I've had the Beyer and the ATH and would go ATH for Classical.

I'd suggest trying out the B&W P5 and P7 if you get a chance. Great for classical and good for travel as they are on-ears rather than over. Also look at the Sony MDR-1a as it has a great tonality in the same price range as the others you are looking at.

Others I've had that might work for you would be the AKG 551, Senn 598, and Takstar Pro82.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 10
So after some more research I just have a question about the ATH MSR7 as it seems it's best for classical... Is it good for other genres as well? I listen to rock, jazz funk as well as rap and electro music and am just curious if they are also decent for general use :)

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I think the MSR7 will do fine for you except maybe the rap and electro as those two are usually very bass heavy and the MSR7 is not a basshead design. This isn't to say you can't use them for those genres, just that other headphones are likely to be better matched to that style of music. Truth be told, there really is no such thing as a perfect all-around headphone so any choice is going to be a series of compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back