Classical Music
Apr 13, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 25
can u run the E4P straight out of a DAP with no amp and still have them sound good with rock? Also, is there a more shallow insertion IEM that gives good isolation and sounds good with classical and rock?

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 25
To answer your question and get some good input one must know your source. And what format you normally listen to. Lossless is almost a requirement for classical in my book, no MP3 for me, but if you do you use mp3 or other lossy formats that may change the recs you get.

Are you interested in a row 20 perspective as in a live performance or do you want to have the close multimiked style of recording. Do you like hyper analytical highs or natural hall decay? And do you like tight low level bass or more warm hall loaded bass.

It all depends on what sound you are after and used to, if that makes sense.

And you must take in the low frequency noise you will encounter on mass transit and how that may affect what your phones give you. You may need to emphasize certain frequency areas just to overcome the constant low level noise.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 25
from the few reviews here, I've read that the new AT-CK100 beats the ER4P.

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 25
The SA6 has terrific clarity, midrange warmth and bass presence that is excellent for classical and jazz. I haven't heard the Ety ER4-p but some folks have said the SA6 has a similar level of detail while having a warmer sig with more bass.
Check ClieOs' IEM review thread to get useful impressions of the SA6 and other IEM's.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 25
I'm soon to be running my future IEMs out of a cowon S9 or Samsung P3. My tracks are all in FLAC and I prefer the natural hall sound aka the concert hall experience. However, I would like that sound to be packaged in an IEM with isolation, since sennheiser's IE7 and IE8 don't fit my ears well.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 25
I don't recommend the ER4S over ER4P. Although the differences are pretty minimal, the ER4P has a more fun and dynamic sound, a little more bass oomph, and is easier to drive (it sounds great straight out of my Sansa Fuze when I'm at the gym).

Excellent IEMs for classical music (and everything else, by my estimation...), buy without reservations.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 25
I also prefer the ER4P to the S. The Yuin PK1 is also very accurate but more bassy and warm; a totally different phone, but very enjoyable with classical music.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #23 of 25
I went down to Bay Bloor Radio today, (I'm in Toronto btw) and had a listen to the IE7, IE8, UE Triple Fi. 10, UE Super fi. 5 (the old version) and Shure SE 530. I would say I prefer IEMs with the sound of the IE8 or Triple Fi. 10, since those sound more alive, however I have reservations with the look of the Triple fi's and the seal of the IE8. How does the Ety er4p compare to the above IEMs?

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #24 of 25
I am in a similar situation and currently torn between the er4(p/s) and the triple fi. While the er4(p/s) seems to get fairly consistent overall praise as the classical iem of choice, the triple fi is regarded as no slouch either. I use flac fed by my computer or cowon d2.

Either way, my next purchase will likely be a dac/amp as I will be building a new pc and will need a sound card anyway, so i might as well double dip as I almost always listen to music through my headphones anyways. So it comes to the point is the er4(p/s) + $125 to put toward another pair for rock or the dac/amp a better investment than the triple fi.

Any thoughts?

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 25
That is a good point about the price difference. Does the er4s have a good enough advantage over the triple.fi to justify two iems, one for classical and one for rock?

My music collection is in flac and is about 3 parts classical (orchestral all the way down to solo):3 parts rock:1 part soundtrack:1 part classical vocal/chorus:1 part other (r&b, jazz, pop, rap, electronic, folk).

With the diversity found in my library, would I be better off with the er4s and a dap and add another more rock oriented iem down the road such as the sure 530? Or would I be better off investing in the triple.fi? I want a more analytical iem so I can listen for the slight differences in various classical passages and hear the individual instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back