Classical Music Suggestions (strings/cello)
Nov 19, 2002 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to get into Classical string quartets and cello music listening. I like Yo-Yo Ma, "Shubert:Quintet, Op.114" and Franz Schmidt "The String Quartets"

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 11
Beethoven's String Quartets are the best and most influential. Tomorrow (November 19) Sony will be reissuing the complete quartets by the Julliard Quartet, recorded in 1964-1970. I'm listening to the set now (I bought it from someone who got it from Amazon.de), and it's a keeper. Good sound/remastering, solid, but not overly intense, interpretations. Catalog number is Sony 87889.

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 11
lextex,
If you're at all interested in *solo* cello, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend Yo Yo Ma's recording of the Bach Cello Suites. I don't claim to be a classical music expert, but I find these performances to be magical...

I'll second FCJ's recommendation of the Beethoven String Quartets. I have the 8 CD Telarc box of the Cleveland Quartet doing them. I don't have any other versions to compare them to, but I will say I like them very much. Picked it up cheap, used. $$$ very well spent.

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Lindy

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Lindy
lextex,
If you're at all interested in *solo* cello, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend Yo Yo Ma's recording of the Bach Cello Suites. I don't claim to be a classical music expert, but I find these performances to be magical...Lindy

I agree completely. Another recording to look for is the Pablo Casals 2CD version on Naxos Historical. Good transfers, unbeatable price.

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Not really a quartet, but...

Vivaldi, The Four Seasons with give you a good taste his work.

Vivaldi wrote 400+ violin concerto's but some say he wrote a violin concerto 400+ times.

If you like the Four Seasons, you'll like Vivaldi. If you don't, I wouldn't bother with any of the rest he did. Look for a recording with a major name conducting: Stokowski, Ormandy, Mariner, Szell, or Pinnock for starters (I'm sure other can add several more)

(now I must find out where Lindy has been shopping.
wink.gif
)

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 11
There is a lot of choice out there, personally I would recommend the Mozart and Boccherini String Quartets and Quintets on Naxos which are very nice. You could also try Corelli's and Handel's trio sonatas or Vivaldi's Cello sonatas/concertos for some lovely baroque string music.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Any recommendations for what's available in SACD?

Do you mean chamber works, or any classical? Most of the stuff floating around are the Sony reissues, which tend to be symphonic stuff by conductors such as Walter, Bernstein, Szell, etc. I haven't seen much chamber stuff yet on SACD, but that should change once DG gets more into the picture.

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I meant chamber music works.

Unfortunately, while there are some on SACD, there aren't as many as symphonic works. From what I remember, it was the same way in the early days of CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back