Classical Music Speakers without laptop recommendation?
Apr 17, 2016 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
So I mostly listen to classical music, and I normally use my hd 600 with magni/modi combination. But I wanted to try speakers, with a separate CD player. I don’t want to use my laptop with this set, plus I’ll probably need a new amp/dac since my magni/modi won’t work this combination. So sorry for my basic question, but what else do I need besides speakers, and what specific type would you get for each? Price range is under $800.

Thanks!

Honestly I know people hate bose, and this is probably overprice, but something simple like this really appeals to me. http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Wave-Music-System-IV/dp/B011IH6N0Y?ie=UTF8&qid=1460874014&ref_=nav_signin&s=aht&sr=1-1

Anyone have a better suggestion? 

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 3
I have never heard it, so can't really comment on its sound, but I'm really skeptical of these little "compact" systems. I guess for the money it might be okay, but if SQ matters to you it will probably not do.

Another option could be a pair of power/active speakers and a separate CD player.

Here my suggestion, but it's over your budget:

Speaker: Sonus Faber Concertino

CD player: NAD C 516BEE

(Add Amp + speaker cables) 

Optional: speakers stands, DAC.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Look for a used pair of Spendor Classic 3/5 or 3/1.  Either is sublime for classical/acoustic/voice.  The Brits know how to design a wonderful sounding loudspeaker, IMHO!  Must be their reverence for the spoken word/human voice?

Keep an eye on Audiogon.  They come up for sale every few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back