Classical Music Recordings - What to look for?
Jul 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Pipster

New Head-Fier
Have been enjoying my CD collection all over again with my new HD595s and recently stumbled upon one of those 'best of' collections of classical music so I gave it a whirl.

Now I love all types of music but have no classical cds. What a fool I have been! Listening with headphones to all that lucious detail was pure pleasure. I want more!!
eggosmile.gif

OK I have got one cd by Saint Saens and I know I like Grieg and have just ordered Vivaldi's four seasons cos it was cheap on Ebay. I realise there are classical 'must haves' so..................

Any suggestions?

What do I look for in a recording??? There must be 10 different versions of Holst, The Planets on CD so how do I know which may have the best SQ?

Any good websites for a bit of research?

Thank you in anticipation. I get the feeling I am on the brink of another exciting music journey.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.classical.net/music/welcome.html is a great site to get started on classical music. A warning though: collecting classical music is more addictive than audio gear so be prepared for your wallet to take a beating. Otherwise, happy listening!
biggrin.gif

Seriously realizing that now. I'm in trouble now. I CAN'T STOP.
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 13
My suggestion would be find a used CD store and just start grabbing things that catch your eye... It usually pretty cheap and a good way to find new things your like. You will probally find a few bad recordings, but if you have a bad recording of something you like, thats where I find it worth while to spend the time to try and find a great recording. Also as you get more and more stuff you start to find orchestras or conductors or soloists you like which will help make the choices easier in the end.

Though I do agree collecting CDs of classicial music is FAR more expensive than collecting audio gear... prepare your self.

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 13
How I tackle classical music it to find pieces I like and then search for the best performance of it with good recording quality. This is instead of just grabbing the first version I happen to see. To date, this approach has not failed me. If I can add one more website to those already mentioned (which I visit); I can't say enough good things about sa-cd.net.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 13
Hard thing about classical music is that there are just so many versions of the same work. For example, I have two versions of Bach cello suites from Pablo Casals and Yo-Yo Ma but there are also Mstislav Rostropovich's version and Janos Starker's version. That's not all! Steven Isserlis just came out with a new version and Pierre Fournier's version is supposed to be good, too! Now, these are just a few widely acclaimed performers and there are hundreds of others. This is what make classic so addicting. You're constantly looking for the "Perfect" version.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 13
Its not even about the "perfect" version, I currently have Yo-Yo Ma's and Rostropovich's versions, and I cant say one is better than the other, depending on the mood i am a different one will appeal to me. Casals version is on my list of things to get just to get a third one to see how he interpretes them.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 13
When I said perfect, I was being theoretical. It's hard to describe it. I know, if I wanted a technically perfect album, I can just go and pick up Starker's Mercury album or Yo-Yo Ma's earlier recording as they seem to have perfect technicality.

I guess it really depends on one's own taste. I'm simply looking for a favorite cellist who can interpret my favorite music close to my own interpretation.

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example, I have two versions of Bach cello suites from Pablo Casals and Yo-Yo Ma but there are also Mstislav Rostropovich's version and Janos Starker's version. That's not all! Steven Isserlis just came out with a new version and Pierre Fournier's version is supposed to be good, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjustice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have Yo-Yo Ma's and Rostropovich's versions

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, if I wanted a technically perfect album, I can just go and pick up Starker's Mercury album or Yo-Yo Ma's earlier recording as they seem to have perfect technicality.

Don't get me started on the cello suites!! Perfection! I will have to look up the new releases suggested by analogbox. I really want the Rostropvich and Starker's Mercury (which in now on SACD I heard) next. With all the talk of Bach's cello suites that really is a good place to start. The Casal was just a novelty purchase, its not the version I reach for. I would suggest the Ma, thats where I started, and then the skys the limit. Me---> 3 versions and counting.

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Wow Tyson you know your stuff!

I feel like I have just pushed my boat out into what I thought was a lake and turned out to be the Pacific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back