classical music lovers with IEMs
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Right, now this is a quick question to all you classical music lovers. What are the sound signature features you look for in an IEM?

Currently torn between the UM3X, Westone3, TripleFi 10 Pro and no idea
frown.gif

I currently use UM2s, and whilst on some tracks they sound superb, on others I'm not sure whether I appreciate the 'monitor sound' if that's what is going wrong...either that or the ALAC was from a dismally mastered CD.

Right so what do you prefer?
Trebles: Triple fi?
Clarity: Triple fi or UM3x?
Smoothness of mids: UM3x?
Seperation (pinpoint different instruments and voices): UM3x?
Soundstage (air and width): TripleFis?
Accurate Timbre: UM3X?

Thing is that with my UM2s on some tracks I do feel as if it's too much in my head and too dull. I know it's an issue with the tracks themselves I guess...and sometimes the way they are encoded with extreme stereo seperation....so what should I do?
Go for the detailed and ultra-balanced and accurate UM3X?
Or go for the sparklier more aggressive and fun and open triplefi?

Get UM3X and EQ it to burn off the sound with extra treble?

Irony is I will probably just end up going with both.
I currently have MDR-SA5000 for that extreme treble sparkle and soundstage and clarity...but after a while it sounds tinny and the timbre just isn't accurate....and then I switch to HD650 which are timbrally accurate, just muddier and....oh well, I'm confused
frown.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 16
if you can get a good fit, Trips. Sounded great with the big Mahler pieces, Wagner operas with huge soundstage as well as smaller pieces like Mozart vioin concerti, Galway on flute, etc.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 16
I have owned UM2, W3 and currently have TF10Pro with UM3X.

If you enjoy UM2 (as I also did) you will be blown away by UM3X. It is several steps ahead in all areas. TF10Pro is excellent but it has one minor flaw of a recessed midrange. Not sure why UE did this other than to create an overall smooth, non-fatiguing presentation which it is but UM3X is better. W3 is IEM on steriods. Big bass, big treble, huge soundstage, somewhat recessed midrange. I won't rip the IEM, it's just not my cup of tea but fun for many.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 16
I feel the ideal approach would be to find a store where you could buy the UM3X, give it a try, and be able to return it if you're unhappy. I know in US there are quite a few Triple Fis on Ebay for a decent price---about $100 less than the UM3X; that said, we have dealers here who will allowyou to return the UM3X if you're unhappy.

I had the Triples but had to sell them due to fit problems. But while I had them, I loved them for their classical presence.

Had you considered the Klipsch X10?? Not on your list, but they're wonderful with symphonics too.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys.

guess i might as well add CK100, X10...Custom 3 too.... ohnoes
frown.gif

yes, recessed midrange might be an issue with classical stuff. Although there will always be the impression of a recessed midrange if treble is too forceful in comparison.

Yeah, im in the UK. will have to get UM3X used off the forums....they want £300 retail here with no returns available
frown.gif
could get it for £180 off here
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 16
Audition a IE8?
The high no longer rolled off, shadowed by the low
The mid no longer slightly recessed
The low shrunk more than your wallet, but it's deeper than you pocket

But unless you are willing to tinker around quite a few weekend, and wait for a month
before it truly blossoms, ignore this post.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 16
i prefer a TF 10 pro for classical music. Bringing out the lower brasses of a orchestra, making it more clear and in the mean time, making those woodwind instrument not that ear piercing.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 16
I just auditioned the Westone 3 and the ATH CK100. The latter is undoubtedly more suitable for classical music, in fact there is absolutely no competition.

If you get the opportunity, I would strongly suggest that you try it out. I work with orchestras and the ATH CK100 provides a somewhat true representation of the recorded sound.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 16
I moved to UM3X from UM2. There was a definite improvement in sound, more detailed treble and bass. Comfort with the Westones is superb. I have also a S5FPro and I find itthem difficult to wear for prolonged periods of time or to sleep with them on. The TF10 is a little larger than S5FPro and may be not be as comfortable as the Westones. W3's are also very nice but fit can be an issue (I never had a problem with that).
Soundstage is a problem with all IEM's. Westones have an in your head, narrow soundstage.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I work with orchestras and the ATH CK100 provides a somewhat true representation of the recorded sound.

What do you mean by "somewhat?" I mean this comment makes the CK100 look like a failed attempt...

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 16
CK100's are great for orchestral music i find. Its deep soundstage really makes me feel like i'm listening to the music at a concert hall. The instruments sound smooth and rich, yet not so warm like IE8. Instrument separation and positioning are also great too.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by "somewhat?" I mean this comment makes the CK100 look like a failed attempt...

I merely meant that it is not perfect. However its definitely the best that I have heard so far.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 16
So-called "classical music" (from Hildegarde to Gavin Bryars) and contemporary improvisation are 90% of my listening. Until recently I've been quite happy with amped ER4S for portable, but a week ago switched to ADDIEMs straight from iPhone. The strengths of Etys are timbral accuracy and excellent isolation. On the downside you get lack of hall acoustics rendition, poor soundstage and a comfort of a freshly installed brain implant.
ADDIEMs with stock tips give a very good illusion of a soundstage, which results, for example, in precise choir groups separation. They're significantly darker than Etys, but do not lack in details. Acoustic instruments timbres are true-to-life, but not as defined as with ER4. Comfort-wise they do not even compare, I can listen for hours with them. Hall acoustics is more evident. Isolation is much worse. Plus they're cheap on ebay and would make a nice gift if you won't like their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back