Classical Music Heads.....what is your preferred headphone(s)?
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

elee703

100+ Head-Fier
What headphones do you prefer to listen to classical? Mine
1. Beyer T1 Gen 1 (for orchestral and specifically violin/piano concertos)
2. AKG K712 pro (for orchestral)
3. HD600 (for single instrument sonatas or violin and piano sonatas)

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Spirit Torino Pulsar gets my vote.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 10
What headphones do you prefer to listen to classical? Mine
1. Beyer T1 Gen 1 (for orchestral and specifically violin/piano concertos)
2. AKG K712 pro (for orchestral)
3. HD600 (for single instrument sonatas or violin and piano sonatas)
I have tried many. Currently using Susvara with variable success. It’s good for orchestral music but doesn’t get timbre right. HD800S is an excellent choice. However nothing compares to my Harbeth 40.2 speakers.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 10
I have tried many. Currently using Susvara with variable success. It’s good for orchestral music but doesn’t get timbre right. HD800S is an excellent choice. However nothing compares to my Harbeth 40.2 speakers.
Well, every headphone sounds wrong next to Harbeth - I thought my old LCD3 (RIP) sounded the closest.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 10

I tend to avoid any of my planars honestly......while their technicalities and sort of cleanliness and extension are great, for me, timbre and musicality are far more important

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 10
I tend to avoid any of my planars honestly......while their technicalities and sort of cleanliness and extension are great, for me, timbre and musicality are far more important
Check out Spirit Torino Pulsar. Not a planar and sounds balanced with fairly correct timbre.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 10
SR325x, which recently replaced my SR225e for Renaissance, Baroque and some Classical period music. CDs and WQXR streaming (128kbps in theory). Both have worked really well for me.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Audeze LCD-2 Fazor or Sennheiser HD-580 (vintage). When traveling, Etymotic ER-6. All three with mild/gentle parametric EQ dialed in by measurements and subjective listening.
Most headphones (except the LCD-2) sound MUCH too bright to me, compared to good speakers having neutral response or to live musical events.
Most of my listening is classical (and older: baroque, renaissance) music, some large ensemble but mostly small ensemble. Yet several other genres too, jazz, rock, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back