Classical music expressing anger
Jul 11, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Hokum

New Head-Fier
Hello,

a difficult and probably quite individual/subjective topic: I'm searching for classical music that you associate with anger, and ESPECIALLY that generates anger in you.

(if you have a non-classical tip you really like please feel free to post it anyway, i just don't want a list consisting of slipknot songs and such.)

thanks.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Beethoven. Especially his later stuff.

May I ask why you are looking for this stuff?

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Hello,

thanks for the tips so far, I'll look into them.

@ Rob & Aman: If you have a specific piece in mind, please post them. Missa Solemnis, Diabelli Variations...? Der Fliegende Holländer, Siegfried...? (Obviously, except pieces of the Holländer, I never heard those...)

@Rob I like "tuning in" to the mood of music and films, I like art that emotionally affects me. While sadness, joy or desperation are rather easy to do - there are many pieces I like - I think anger is way more difficult to express musically.
And it is - this may be very subjective - even harder to affect the listener and to get him in the same state of mind. That's what I'm looking for.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Angst and anger can be found in Bartok's String Quartet #4. Especially in the Emerson Quartet's performance.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Angst and anger can be found in Bartok's String Quartet #4. Especially in the Emerson Quartet's performance.

angst is quite the opposite of what I'm searching for. But the allegretto pizzicato is on spot, thanks.
(Nothing beats having my dad here with his itunes collection
eggosmile.gif
takacs quartet version)

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 17
Cool - try String Quartet No. 16 in F major (Opus 135) - I don't know if it's anger but it the fuge sure sounds angry to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

thanks for the tips so far, I'll look into them.

@ Rob & Aman: If you have a specific piece in mind, please post them. Missa Solemnis, Diabelli Variations...? Der Fliegende Holländer, Siegfried...? (Obviously, except pieces of the Holländer, I never heard those...)

@Rob I like "tuning in" to the mood of music and films, I like art that emotionally affects me. While sadness, joy or desperation are rather easy to do - there are many pieces I like - I think anger is way more difficult to express musically.
And it is - this may be very subjective - even harder to affect the listener and to get him in the same state of mind. That's what I'm looking for.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 17
I would look into Rachmaninoff, Shostakovitch, and Rimsky-Korsikov. All are on the aggressive and dark side.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Anger is a difficult emotion to put in music because it is so contextualised: a normal person can feel happy for no reason at all, become depressed without knowing why, or get caught in some dread with no name -- but almost invariably, anger has a cause. A piece of music, even when loud, brashly or violent, is not likely to convey the sense of anger in the audience unless the composer somehow provide background information as to why the audience should feel angry.

Some "sea music", in particular the "Storm" movement in Britten's Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes, sounds angry to me; but I don't suppose it is a universal response.

Composers of Operas have a much easier times conveying anger: to me the most angry scene in opera is the finale of Zemlinsky's A Florentine Tragedy: where the merchant Simon strangles the prince who has been messing with his wife. Listen to a capable Baritone and feel his masculine, vehement fire.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 17
Very angry music: Vaughan Williams symphony no. 4. Almost anything by Rouse. The Roger Sessions 2nd symphony. And the guaranteed to set your teeth on edge, cause a divorce, or your neighbor's foot to come through the wall: Arthur Schnabel's (yes, the pianist) symphony no. 2.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Hi, thanks again for the numerous tips. This has become a nice long list, I'm working my way through.

@FalconP I think your opinion is very true. Again, expressing anger is rather feasible, while really upsetting the audience, MAKING them angry, is most difficult (you know how I mean it
wink.gif
)

Again, Angst is definitely NOT what I'm looking for. Definitely not a feeling I like to dive into. Sadness, Joy, Anger can be very purifying.
I'm looking for music that you associate with violent, extroverted feelings, but not necessarely unpleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back