Classical like Hyperballad?
Mar 3, 2004 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cptn.Nugs

New Head-Fier
I just got bjork's album post and heard hyperballad. Can anyone recommend some easy to find classical music that sounds like the end of the song? I likes hearing all of the woodsy tones of the stringed instruments. I also like the sad slow sound without very many instruments. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Mar 3, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 13
I can recommend a couple things...if you enjoy the strings on Post, do yourself a favor and get Homogenic. It is one of my favorite CD's of all time and it will blow your ears off the first time you listen to it. Every track on the CD features some combination of electronic drums/synths, samples of an icelandic string octet, and Bjorks powerful, emotive voice. Hyperballad is one of my favorite songs on Post, but every song on Homogenic, to my ears, is just as good if not better.

You also might want to check out a CD by a guy named Johann Johannsson called Englaborn (this is an English spelling...the guy is Icelandic so his name has letters that our alphabet doesn't have). It's classified by many as "electronica" but the electronic touch is inaudible most of the time...it's really just chamber music. It's very dark and cinematic, and most of the CD explores variations of only a few musical ideas, but the strings sound lush and beautiful and the melodies are familar without being trite or cliche.

If you like Bjork and you like string sections, you can't go wrong with Homogenic. Check out the songs "Hunter," "Joga," and "Bachelorette," these three feature some great string parts.

Mar 27, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 13
You should definitely get the Telegram remix album, it has an all string version of Hyperballad with Brodsky Quartet that's excellent, check out some of their other chamber works as well.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion after such a long time. Is chamber music music with few instruments? Can you recommend some of your other favorites that I can find easily? I like the sad sounding stuff. Ever since I got my ms-1s (thanks to you guys) I have expanded my musical horizons to include all types of music. I greatly appreciate any more help.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 13
I like Johann Johannsson and I went and got Homogenic because of you. Thanks for your replies! Help a fellow music lover out!

My ms-1's are the best thing to ever happen to me!

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Rachel's.

- Chris

Is that a recommendation? I couldn't find anything on soulseek.....

And yes I will buy the cd if I like it. I must have full quality music!!!! Shpongle Tales of the Inexpressable kicks ass!!!!!

Mar 27, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 13
It's difficult to correlate "pop" music likings, even with diverse selections such as Björk, to classical. Béla Bartók's string quartets, either by Emerson or Takacs Quartet is my first recommendation.

Edit: Bartók doesn't really qualify for a sad recommend, he's much more in the aggressive catagory, but if you like Björk this is one composer you should enjoy.

Mar 27, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, Rachel's is a chamber music/classical/experimental quartet (I think they're a quartet anyway). Lots of varied stuff... they've collaborated with Matmos (who provided most of the electronics for Björk's Vespertine) and have produced some pretty neat albums. Check it out.

- Chris

Mar 27, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 13
Oh, another recommendation: Biosphere's Shenzhou. Beautiful and minimal... constructed from various altered loops of Debussy and perhaps some other minimalist composers. Very soothing and hypnotic.

- Chris

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Pardon for straying slightly off-topic, but Bjork's The Golden Unplugged Album is amazing. Imagine BigTime Sensuality w/ an organ & tabla drums. All live stuff, plus a couple bonus tracks (including that quartet version of Hyperballad). Sounds very live, with mic sibilance a little rough at times, but very pleasing otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back