Classical/jazz: DT-831 or K271?
May 7, 2006 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pencechp

Head-Fier
So, my next rig really comes down to a pair of K271s or a pair of DT-831s (closed, classical music-friendly headphones). Unfortunately, there's basically nowhere to demo the DT-831s, so I need to lean on the collective wisdom of Head-fi'ers everywhere. (Alternatively, if you know a spot in NYC or Philadelphia that has 831s and 271s to demo, let me know!) So I've got two related questions:

* If you had to choose between these two phones for a collection that was mostly classical and jazz, but drifted occasionally into rock, which would you pick?

* And, if you wanted to spend <$300 on an amp to go with them that would synergize well with both the music type and the headphones, which would it be? I'm leaning toward a Corda Headfive right now, or perhaps to not purchase a DAC and get a Corda Aria instead. What do you guys think? I'd like this rig to be a little warmer and more lush than my current setup (see sig), so a tube amp would be nice, but the money I'm willing to spend doesn't fly for most tube amps...

May 7, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I'll take the K271 for classical and jazz over most other closed headphones.

I'd agree with jagorev here. K271 really are quite dynamic headphones when properly amped. The Headfive will work well with them.

May 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 7
K271S + good amp + Zu Mobius = closed equivalent of HD650.

They definitely need no less drive than Senns to sound, so proper amping is the key here.

And don't listen to those who say that they have no bass, it's just a tad leaner than HD650's.

In fact I am A/Bing two right now and shocked by their sound signatures similarities.

May 7, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
K271S + good amp + Zu Mobius = closed equivalent of HD650.

Good amp? Does the Headfive qualify, or would you recommend putting even more money into the amp section? Recommendations would be great.

May 7, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 7
I like the 501's better for jazz but the 271s has some if not a lot in common with the sound of the 501. The 271s is the best isolating headphone I have heard in a while but that is not saying much as far as isolation goes (they don't isolate the listener from outside noise very well but better than most closed cans) so I would still go with the 501's for jazz...I don't listen to much classical and not at all on cans.

May 7, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 7
My K271S sounds rather weird to me, I'd recommend the DT250/250 instead. Heard the DT831 only briefly in a shop and probably from a high impedance out, but it made quite a good impression, too - somewhat K501-like, but with juicier bass.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back