Classical in the now
Sep 9, 2006 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
Those of us who love classical music love and respect the wonderful composers of the past.

Are there composers now? I never hear of contemporary composers with contemporary symphonies. I tried searching allmusic but didn't get too far.

Are there any suggestions if they actually exist?

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75
Those of us who love classical music love and respect the wonderful composers of the past.

Are there composers now? I never hear of contemporary composers with contemporary symphonies. I tried searching allmusic but didn't get too far.

Are there any suggestions if they actually exist?

These are dark times for classical music (and all art) as far as I can tell. Instead of the classical greats, we have hacks like Phillip Glass (Einstein on the Beach made me want to hunt him down and end his pathetic existence before he further corrupted the vulnerable). And as for other art, we have people like David Hockney who can't get over the fact that there were great artists and that he's not one of them. I've heard some things about music coming out of China these days, but I haven't done enough research to really tell.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 23
Sep 9, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 23
I'll say that there are contemporary composers of symphonies, many of them create beautiful, evocative, refreshing sounds.

Some of my favorites:

1. Vagn Holmboe
2. Humphrey Searle
3. Valentin Silvestrov
4. Lutoslawski
5. William Alwyn
6. Karl-Birger Blomdahl
7. Alan Petterson

Now if you find these too austere and modern, there are more conservative composers:

8. Paul Creston
9. George Lloyd
10. Richard Arnell
11. Sir Malcolm Arnold
11. David Diamond

While not all of the above are still alive, the music is, in musical history terms, relatively new. Alwyn, Arnold and Arnell (the 3 A's, and all alive) are very approachable).

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
I'll say that there are contemporary composers of symphonies, many of them create beautiful, evocative, refreshing sounds.

Some of my favorites:

1. Vagn Holmboe
2. Humphrey Searle
3. Valentin Silvestrov
4. Lutoslawski
5. William Alwyn
6. Karl-Birger Blomdahl
7. Alan Petterson

Now if you find these too austere and modern, there are more conservative composers:

8. Paul Creston
9. George Lloyd
10. Richard Arnell
11. Sir Malcolm Arnold
11. David Diamond

While not all of the above are still alive, the music is, in musical history terms, relatively new. Alwyn, Arnold and Arnell (the 3 A's, and all alive) are very approachable).

Some of these names are unfamiliar to me. Can't say I'm a fan of the ones I have heard, but I'm always up for new music. Good finds (I hope).

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 23
Osvaldo Golijov is the "hot" composer today. Some critics have called his opera Ainadamar
ArtWorkServlet

the dawn of 21st century classical music. Me, I am not so sure, but I like Ainadamar: 70' of good music. I wish it wasn't so "loud" at times but that's probably me I also find Verdi "loud". And BTW, Ainadamar is #6 classical bestseller at yourmusic.com behind "Il Divo", Henry Mancini, Chloe(?), and The Who (I guess you can consider Tommy an opera right?
wink.gif
)

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 23
Is the question are there classical composers, or are they writing symphonies? If it is the first question then obviously the answer is yes, and many writing great music. Maxwell Davies, Stockhausen Boulez, Carter, Birtwistle, Rihm, Gubaidulina to name some senior figures who are alive, or Ligeti who has just died are all challenging artists, writing music that will last. If your taste is for more tuneful try Part, Kancheli, Silvestrow etc etc - the list of worthwhile names is long, and your enjoyment is limited only by your own imagination.

If it is the second question as to whether these people are writing symphonies, then the answer is not so often (although hasn't Maxwell Davies written 8 of them), as the form is possibly seen as not so important these days, and certainly not the only vehicle for IMPORTANT STATEMENTS in that holy German high art sort of way. I think that one of the last great symphonies written in the twentieth century was Webern's, and that is a statement in itself about the death of the form as it was previously understood (or maybe it was Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony, but the point remains). The term symphony probably still contains implications of high minded gravitas and a certain conservatism of approach, but in today's musical world who knows what may result from calling a piece a symphony...

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 23
Some of my favorites...
Olga Neuwirth: Hooloomooloo, Clinamen / Nodus, Construction in Space, The Long Rain, etc.
Peter Eötvös: Intervalles-Interieurs, Windsequenzen
Pierre Boulez: Pli Selon Pli, Eclat, Multiples, etc.
Roger Reynolds: Archipelago
Kaija Saariaho: Graal Théâtre, Amers, etc.
Olivier Messiaen: Chronochromie, La Ville d'en haut, Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum, etc.
György Ligeti: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Concerto for Violoncello and Orchestra, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
1. Vagn Holmboe
2. Humphrey Searle
3. Valentin Silvestrov
5. William Alwyn
6. Karl-Birger Blomdahl
7. Alan Petterson

Interesting composers... Didn't find Alan Petterson at Amazon, but Tower has a few...

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Some of my favorites...
Olga Neuwirth: Clinamen / Nodus, Construction in Space, etc.
Peter Eötvös: Intervalles-Interieurs, Windsequenzen
Pierre Boulez: Pli Selon Pli, Eclat, Multiples, etc.
Roger Reynolds: Archipelago
Kaija Saariaho: Graal Théâtre, Amers, etc.
Olivier Messiaen: Chronochromie, La Ville d'en haut, Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum, etc.
György Ligeti: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Concerto for Violoncello and Orchestra, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra

These are excellent recommendations.

As zumaro mentioned, despite many excellent contemporary composers, there may not be as many symphonies being composed as in the past.

Some other thoughts:

Arvo Part also has composed a few symphonies.

Alfred Schnittke (who died a few years ago) has composed several symphonies.

Glenn Branca writes symphonies, but they are not for the timid.

Other composers: Eliot Carter, Brian Ferheyhough, Harrison Birtwhistle.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Interesting composers... Didn't find Alan Petterson at Amazon, but Tower has a few...

Oops! I misspelled his name: Allan Pettersson.

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
These are excellent recommendations.

As zumaro mentioned, despite many excellent contemporary composers, there may not be as many symphonies being composed as in the past.

Some other thoughts:

Arvo Part also has composed a few symphonies.

Alfred Schnittke (who died a few years ago) has composed several symphonies.

Other composers: Eliot Carter, Brian Ferheyhough, Harrison Birtwhistle.

Brian Ferneyhough has a new recording of Funérailles that sounds intriguing Ferneyhough: Funérailles . Here is a video clip of Ferneyhough conversing about his music...In Conversation with Brian Ferneyhough. I may be wrong, but it seems like this style of music is primarily for the right brain hemisphere. From what I understand, things that activate more of the left hemisphere generally has more appeal, makes a bit more sense, and sounds happier. Ferneyhough's style appeals to some people, such as myself, but it's difficult, by nature, to put into words why.

-

Arvo Pärt's Credo is quiet good...

-

Whoooa... almost missed a recommendation... I'll have to pickup a few of his more orchestral works...
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink

glennreglive.jpg

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Brian Ferneyhough has a new recording of Funérailles that sounds intriguing Ferneyhough: Funérailles . Here is a video clip of Ferneyhough conversing about his music...In Conversation with Brian Ferneyhough. I may be wrong, but it seems like this style of music is primarily for the right brain hemisphere. From what I understand, things that activate more of the left hemisphere generally has more appeal, makes a bit more sense, and sounds happier. Ferneyhough's style appeals to some people, such as myself, but it's difficult, by nature, to put into words why.

-

Arvo Pärt's Credo is quiet good...

Thanks for the links on Ferneyhough. His music is definitley as challenging as it is rewarding.

Arvo Part's music is other-wordly.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamemako
These are dark times for classical music (and all art) as far as I can tell. Instead of the classical greats, we have hacks like Phillip Glass (Einstein on the Beach made me want to hunt him down and end his pathetic existence before he further corrupted the vulnerable). And as for other art, we have people like David Hockney who can't get over the fact that there were great artists and that he's not one of them. I've heard some things about music coming out of China these days, but I haven't done enough research to really tell.

The term classical refers to a point in time which has long since past, thus so has the music. Any new composer out there that are writing 'classical' music are simply copying the past styles (with minimal updates). Besides, none of the modern 'classical' music out there is worth a damn (but alas, I also feel that way about the Romantic era in general). Now my opinions are most likely not worth a damn to you but I must say that one should not simply live in the past.
I for a long time was unimpressed with everything happening in the art world outside of modern music. Yet the more I thought about the topic of art, the more open I became to all the current modern art. That does not mean I am open to anything someone wants to call art but rather that work still must stimulate me in some way for it to be art. Not everything I see in a contemporary art museum would be considered art to me, but at the same time I love Philip Glass and HATE 'Einstein on the Beach'.
Now that I have been off topic enough... To the original poster, I recommend looking into people like: John Cage, Morton Feldman, and John Adams. Now you most likely would not like them at first, but alas, times change and so does music.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetus
The term classical refers to a point in time which has long since past, thus so has the music. Any new composer out there that are writing 'classical' music are simply copying the past styles (with minimal updates). Besides, none of the modern 'classical' music out there is worth a damn (but alas, I also feel that way about the Romantic era in general). Now my opinions are most likely not worth a damn to you but I must say that one should not simply live in the past.
I for a long time was unimpressed with everything happening in the art world outside of modern music. Yet the more I thought about the topic of art, the more open I became to all the current modern art. That does not mean I am open to anything someone wants to call art but rather that work still must stimulate me in some way for it to be art. Not everything I see in a contemporary art museum would be considered art to me, but at the same time I love Philip Glass and HATE 'Einstein on the Beach'.
Now that I have been off topic enough... To the original poster, I recommend looking into people like: John Cage, Morton Feldman, and John Adams. Now you most likely would not like them at first, but alas, times change and so does music.

"Classical music" generally refers to orchestral and chamber music. In all my years I have never, ever heard someone refer to classical-period music as just "classical music" and leave it expecting others to gather the rest. I've been to see six symphony performances this year, and that's including the lack of performances in the summer season. I get plenty of exposure to this stuff and I simply haven't heard people refer to the classical period with "classical music." I mean, if you wanted to be that strict, than baroque-period music (Mozart wrote many baroque-style pieces as he was the composer who ushered in the classical period) is also not classical music. And where do you place neo-classicists?

I get the impression Arvo Part is a minimalist. I browsed a few sample recordings and couldn't find a whole lot except chords. It felt like a mellowed-out nu-metal concert.
tongue.gif
Does anybody have a good suggestion for his music other than Credo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back