Classical headphones for my grandfather ~ £75 budget
Oct 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #16 of 19
take a look on Audio-Technica ATH-Ax00 series. They provide good sound stage, nice treble, and great comfortable.

anyway, if your budget is enough for MS-pro, you should also look for the Audio Technica ATH-W5000s. They are very good for classical, IMO.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 19
MS-Pro will be for me :) I'm not so into classical, lol.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 19
Let him try your K271s. Most receivers will drive them or any AKG sufficiently. If he likes them, then he likes the AKG house sound. I have K701's the original K240M and do listen to classical. I reckon the K501's, if you can find them, would be a fine choice.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko-time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow guys, thanks for all the posts,

Now, say I was going to save up for the MS Pro. How much better does it sound than the MS1? Any differences or more of a bigger brother?

Cheers again
smily_headphones1.gif

Today, while listening to Mozart's sublime Don Giovanni on Harmonia Mundi (France) I again compared my Alessandro MS1s to my Sennheiser HD600s and AKG K701s and decided I prefer the MS1s using my well loved Little Dot MKIV SE ($400) tube amp. I like the MS1s better because they're more comfortable (a very personal judgement!), they're lighter on their feet (more balletic!), more in your face and therefore much more fun. Before you assume more expensive Grados/ Alessandros are worth the extra money check out the topics here at HeadFi that cast doubt on this. I auditioned SR325is (MS2i) for a month and returned them because their bass muddied the midrange and, unlike my HD600s and K701s, they had little soundstage. HOWEVER, the SR325is are a lot of fun so I missed them and that's why I bought MS1s because for $99 including WW shipping they have all of the fun of the SR325i (MS2i) and their bass doesn't pollute the midrange and they don't have that stiff $300 price tag of the SR325is and MS2is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back