Classical headphone recommendations?
Jul 6, 2006 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

yorkie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, my name is yorkie and I am an audioholic.

Having gotten that out of the way, i'm looking to reenter the headphone scene as I prepare to go abroad for a year and need a halfway decent semi-portable setup.

I'll be ordering an iPod video shortly and need some cans that will go along well with it for mostly classical listening. My budget is a little tight so i'd prefer to avoid investing in a headphone amp, as I know that would just lead me to wanting to spend more and more money on upgrades I can't really afford. I might eventually buy an amplifier, but I don't want that to factor into my decision quite yet.

I have a pair of Sennheiser PX-100s and have been mostly pleased with their sound and use them for when I feel like walking around, but for critical listening I need to go a few steps up.

To be more specific about my listening preferences, I listen to about 80% classical music, 10% rock (Led Zeppelin) and 10% bluegrass. Classical is mostly orchestral with some violin and cello and a little bit of vocal. I'd prefer to cater towards the violin/orchestral works which are my favorites.

After searching the forums here i've found three cans which might suit my purposes.
1. Audio Technica ATH-A900 - I've heard these are good unamped, have solid bass and closed design is a benefit but not a deal-breaker.
2. HD-595s - I understand these are better for rock music and leak a lot of sound, but that they're very good unamped.
3. SR-225s - I'm not a huge fan of the look, but supposedly they are quite charming for violin music and have a good timbre.

I don't want to go too much further with my own analysis, because my headphone experience is somewhat limited and would prefer more informed opinions than my own. I have however owned the HD-580s powered by a Gilmore Lite for a short time, and found that the sound was too laid back, dark, and veiled in the highs for my own preference. Maybe that experience will help you guys point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Yorkie

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 29
I would not use any of those headphones for classical use mainly. Take a look at the AKG K701s if you do not like the Senn presentation. They are very open, great detail, nice mids, and decent soundstaging.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I would not use any of those headphones for classical use mainly. Take a look at the AKG K701s if you do not like the Senn presentation. They are very open, great detail, nice mids, and decent soundstaging.

I read about them, started to get excited... and saw the price
frown.gif

I feel like i've been slapped in the face with a wet noodle. I can probably afford a used pair, but i'd prefer to do so as a last resort.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie
I read about them, started to get excited... and saw the price
frown.gif

I feel like i've been slapped in the face with a wet noodle. I can probably afford a used pair, but i'd prefer to do so as a last resort.

They be a fine all around can sir.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

They be a fine all around can sir.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep reading up on them and maybe look into buying a used pair here on the forums.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll keep reading up on them and maybe look into buying a used pair here on the forums.

That would be the wise thing to do. I do not listen to my K701s as much as when I first got them. That is not because they suck, it is just that I have acquired so many cans that I tend to roll cans.

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

That would be the wise thing to do. I do not listen to my K701s as much as when I first got them. That is not because they suck, it is just that I have acquired so many cans that I tend to roll cans.

Why, it sounds like you need to sell them to someone like err, that nice guy yorkie
wink.gif

I have to admit that i'm surprised that all of the searches i've run on this forum haven't brought up any other real competitors in the classical realm beyond what Sennheiser offers. Maybe my criteria are a bit narrow to give me much of a choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
If you found the 580 too dark, the 595 might be a fine choice.

Do you think their temperament is really suited to classical music? That's my biggest worry about the 595s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
To be quite honest, the first headphone that popped up in my mind was the K501. Then again they have been known to be anemic in the bass arena.

I'll look for some information on them, thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Why, it sounds like you need to sell them to someone like err, that nice guy yorkie
wink.gif

I have to admit that i'm surprised that all of the searches i've run on this forum haven't brought up any other real competitors in the classical realm beyond what Sennheiser offers. Maybe my criteria are a bit narrow to give me much of a choice.

Do you think their temperament is really suited to classical music? That's my biggest worry about the 595s.

I'll look for some information on them, thanks for the suggestion.

I would love to sell them to you, if I intended to actually sell them. I am not a member that sells cans he loves.

The K501s would actually be a good way to go as they do excel at classical. That would leave you with plenty of cash leftover for food and rent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

The K501s would actually be a good way to go as they do excel at classical. That would leave you with plenty of cash leftover for food and rent.
smily_headphones1.gif

The impedance of the K501s (at least according to headroom) is "@ 1kHz: 120". I take it I would need an amplifier?

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

The impedance of the K501s (at least according to headroom) is "@ 1kHz: 120". I take it I would need an amplifier?

With most of the higher end cans you would need an amp to get the best out of the headphone.

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 29
I think if you want a pair of headphones that work right out of your ipod for all around use, the sr225's would fit the bill nicely. A lot of people around here think that Senns and AKGs are the only cans that can do orchestral - I don't think so. Without an amp, no headphone will compare to Grado. They resolve detail really well and there "brightness" is great for spicing up some of those not so dynamic orchestral recordings. I'm a huge classical music fan and I'm pretty content with my Grados. Get the sr225's. Otherwise you'll be duped into becoming an upgrade-phile. First it's the headphones, than it's the amp, then it's the better amp, then it's the better phone, and so on. Get the Grado's. and spend the money on the music.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

With most of the higher end cans you would need an amp to get the best out of the headphone.

The K701's have half the impedance of their little brother, I wouldn't expect perfect performance from a mobile unit but they would still run decently well, correct? I just know that if I bought the K501's i'd have to get an amp, and then things would be complicated and I wouldn't be saving any money and probably would want to spend more... yargh

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I think if you want a pair of headphones that work right out of your ipod for all around use, the sr225's would fit the bill nicely. A lot of people around here think that Senns and AKGs are the only cans that can do orchestral - I don't think so. Without an amp, no headphone will compare to Grado. They resolve detail really well and there "brightness" is great for spicing up some of those not so dynamic orchestral recordings. I'm a huge classical music fan and I'm pretty content with my Grados. Get the sr225's. Otherwise you'll be duped into becoming an upgrade-phile. First it's the headphones, than it's the amp, then it's the better amp, then it's the better phone, and so on. Get the Grado's. and spend the money on the music.

I'm looking through my music library, trying to figure out if the Grado sound would be right for it.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 29
I've done some thoughtful thinking over my checkbook, and the K501s look very appealing. If I buy them I can set aside a bit of cash for an amplifier too, although i'll have to launch a seperate search to find one.

My only worry is the bass, are the K601s better suited to my purpose? I've heard they have their own problems in the mids, and i'm a bit lost at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back