Classical for Beginners (How I stopped hating it)
Jan 24, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #31 of 32

Quote:
I've already addressed this several times.  Clearly, the performers matter.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it.  You classical enthusiasts don't know what it's like for a beginner.  You go on and on about which car manufacturer (performer) is the best.  But the beginner doesn't even know the difference between compact, sedan and SUV (etudes, concertos and symphonies).  How many times to do I need to repeat myself.  This is for beginners. BEGINNERS.

EDIT:  Actually, you know what.  I've been wasting my time.  No beginners seem interested and it's just a bunch of experts chiming in with their 2 cents.  So, why don't you guys just handle it then? 

sugarkang,

i'm a classical beginner. just wanted to tell you thanks for starting this thread.
i'm going to go check out that 20 minute video that ericC recommended.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #32 of 32

Quote:
My opinions is that even for beginners, performers matter because in the end you end up saving money and it;s really easy to get a well performed recording.
Think of this this way, you don't know a lot about French cuisine but want to invite your significant other for Valentine's day, you'd still check the reviews before choosing simply because there are only pros and no cons to do so.

By the way, I'm not an "expert" in classical music.

I believe what OP was trying to do is getting the ball rolling.  A simple search on Head-Fi for "classical music" yields thousands of threads, most of them similar to one another, and from what I've read, when people ask, "What kind of classical will I be interested in?" the answer head-fiers give rarely contains a specific performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back