Classical fans...
Nov 16, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Never heard that one.. will have to look into it, my personal favorite classical piece is "Cannon in D" by Pachelbel...

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokinlots
Has anyone heard..

Bach's Weltliche Kantaten

I absolutely LOVE it and would enjoy others like it. Can anyone offer any other suggestions that are similar?

Bach's Church (Sacred) Cantatas? See another thread here.
smily_headphones1.gif

German Baroque Operas (Telemann, Keiser, Hasse, others0

Nov 16, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 7
tokinlots,

Weltliche Cantaten is German for the "worldly," profane or secular cantatas of Bach. Unfortunately, I think you are referring to a recording with Peter Schreier which is very hard to come by nowadays. There is a Rene Jacobs recording of three of the cantatas is available, but I don't know whether that repeats the ones on your recording . There is also a box set of all 23 cantatas from Ton Koopman. Other excellent Bach cantata recordings are Herreweghe's recording of Bach's Cantata No. 21 (BWV 21) and the Quasthoff Bach Cantatas (DG).

Mike D,

Pachelbel was one of the foremost composers in Germany before Bach and so little of his music has been preserved, his Canon in D is the least of them. He was the teacher of JS Bach's uncle, Johann Christoph Bach, and one of the foremost masters of canon and counterpoint, of which JS Bach became the greatest master. The Canon in D is part of a form of music popular in Germany at that time, the perpetual canon (a melody played in parts that will repeat itself ad infinitum such as the 3 part round "Row, Row, Row your Boat"). Canons occur in Bach's works with great regularity. The form is used in the Goldberg Variations and his Musikalische Offert for example. An excellent and fun recording with other, secular music contemporaneous with Pachelbel is the Akademie fur alte Musik Berlin's Overtüren: Music for the Hamburg Opera. If you want more music by Pachelbel, then look for collections of his organ music which will include his canons and fugues.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Another good cd for the Weltliche Kantaten (Cantates profanes-Secular Cantatas ) I can recommend:
- Peasant Cantata (BWV 212)
- Hercules at the crossroads (BWV 213)
Gächinger Kantorei, Bach-Collegium Stuttgart
Helmut Rilling
Schäfer, Rubens, Danz, Ullmann Quasthoff, Schmidt
Hänssler Edition.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Weltliche Kantaten
BWV 201 Der Streit zwischen Pheobus und Pan
BWV 173a Serenata Glueckwunschkantate zum Gebuertstag der
Fuersten Leopold von Anhalt-Koethen

Frimmer, Popken, Elwes, Pregardien, Wilson-Johnson, van Egmond