classical cd recommendations?
Sep 21, 2005 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been getting into classical alot more lately, and so far, my meager collection consists of:

Paganini's 24 Caprices (not the Itzhak Perlman version)
Vivaldi's Complete Cello Sonatas
Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet
Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5

I'm really drawn to the sound of cellos-- their rich deeper sound is really soothing to listen to. I also like really "dark" sounding pieces (with really low brass instruments) that sound very ominous. I'm guessing that some soundtracks would be great-- like "Aliens" or something equally dark and dramatic.

So what recommendations would you have for me, given my newly found affection for cello music and darker, more ominous/dramatic pieces? Aside from those styles, I know that I really need to pick up Itzhak Perlman performing Paganini's 24 Caprices-- heard some samples on amazon.com and that guy is amazing!

thanks in advance,
J.

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I've been getting into classical alot more lately, and so far, my meager collection consists of:

I'm really drawn to the sound of cellos-- their rich deeper sound is really soothing to listen to. I also like really "dark" sounding pieces (with really low brass instruments) that sound very ominous. I'm guessing that some soundtracks would be great-- like "Aliens" or something equally dark and dramatic.

So what recommendations would you have for me, given my newly found affection for cello music and darker, more ominous/dramatic pieces? Aside from those styles, I know that I really need to pick up Itzhak Perlman performing Paganini's 24 Caprices-- heard some samples on amazon.com and that guy is amazing!

thanks in advance,
J.

I would start trying the cello concertos. My favorite is Shostokovich's (it will satisfy your darker desires). Barber's is good as well.

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 12
continuing with cello music -a bit off the beaten track but very pleasant- try Fournier playing Vivaldi, Boccherini and Haydn cello concertos. I have one with the Festival Strings Lucerne that I can't find, but I assume this is just as good
B0002W11D6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

or Georgy Catoire played by Room-Music
B0007NLHMA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

that was recommended by bunnyears in another thread

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck
The Elgar Cello Concerto and of course there is only one version worth having

Not at all. In many ways I prefer Yo Yo Ma's recording to the Du Pré'. As a bonus, it's coupled with a superb Walton that I think would satisfy the original poster's requirements perhaps even better than the Elgar. It's one of my favorite Ma discs, and the sonics are very good to boot.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 12
I really want to recommend the Bach Cello Suites to you -- it's some of the best stuff ever written for the instrument -- but by gum it's just not dark or ominous! You can't wipe the smile off your face listening to these suites.

Try the Walton concerto I mentioned above.

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111

thanks in advance,
J.

Danny Elfman's movie music is great, although, because it fits the changing moods of a movie, it sometimes lacks the unity of a concerto or symphony.

His Batman and Edward Scissorshand scores are excellent, and dark in many parts.

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 12
B0007NLHMA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I would buy that one just for the cover.

I love mountain streams.

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 12
If you're looking for some great new pieces to explore and round out your classical collection, here are some additions:

Elgar - Enigma Variations - An almost conductor-proof piece. My own favorite is Stokowski (now on Cala) but there are a bunch of others and I've never heard one that didn't include some great soulful cello playing. Elgar was a cellist.

Shostakovich - Symphony #5 - Dark and moody, with more than a little paranoia, this is music to fear the government by
smily_headphones1.gif
. There are again many great recordings. Oddly, the only one I didn't care for is the latest SACD version with Rostapovich (great cellist, though) and only because the live recording sounded flat to me. The same conductor with the National Symphony on Teldec sounds just fine and the disc is now a cutout. Jarvi on Chandos offers a lot and you get the feeling that Jarvi knows its message first hand.

Vaughan Williams - It's Fall now, and this music is just the ticket for fall weather. Are other composers so associated with seasons? Marriner's recordings on London/Decca are on plenty of best-of lists. Nimbus used to have a disc and even their distant miking seemed to add atmosphere. All the shorter VW pieces have plenty of moody cello. The Tallis Fantasia is probably as good as any to seek out in an Amazon search.

Brahms #2. Find the four-symphony set conducted by Sanderling on Eurodisc (BMG). It usually sells at overpriced places like Borders for $14. All are great readings that emphasize the lower strings. Brahms is a great string writer and never seemed preoccupied with being an intellectual - he wrote his heart onto the page.

Gorecki #3 - Beautiful modern music? It's possible and this piece proves it. Great cello writing. Dawn Upshaw sings the vocal part on Zinman's/London Symphony's Elektra recording engineered by Tony Faulkner, arguably the best of the British sound engineers when it comes to strings on digital. If you don't like singing, don't worry, the piece is mostly instrumental and the vocals are almost an added string part.

Sep 22, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 12
More of cello:
Britten Cello suites 1-3- Truls Mork (Virgin) or William Butt (Apex).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back