Classic Story...
Apr 1, 2006 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone relate to this?

I have always tried to stash $20 here and $20 there to eventually come up with enough money for some indulgences. Actually, I won the fantasy football league I was in this past winter and went right out and bought some
E4C's.

My son was lucky enough to get a Nano for Christmas and then with a Best Buy gift card he bought some EX-71's. He ended up losing one of the only tip sizes that fit so he went back to the stock earbuds. I was telling him he should save his pennies to upgrade to a pair of Senn CX-300's. When I told him they were about $60 he thought that was an insane amount of money for a pair of headphones. His mother was walking by and heard the conversation and she too agreed that $60 was an insane amount of money to spend on a pair of headphones. If only they knew...
evil_smiley.gif
heh...heh...heh

Actually, to me, what is insane is spending $5,000 on dining room furniture. Dining room furniture that is used like two or three times a year.

Half of me wants to let the two of them try out my E4's so they can see what they are missing but the other half of me thinks that would be a HUGE mistake because I might end up having to share them. Some things are best left as a secret.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Sometimes it's best to not let them know.
tongue.gif

I knew I wasn't going to get permission to buy my DT990s the other day, so I didn't ask.
icon10.gif

And I do agree that spending that kind of money on things like furniture is rather absurd. Just invest in a good set of TV trays and you're set.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 8
you only use the dinning furniture 3 times a year? - where do you eat?
but that's beside the point: yea, i usually don't tell people, i cut it in half and they all still think my headphones are too expensive....if they only knew the truth.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 8
my parents had custom furniture imported from China... hard, uncomfortable and ugly as all he11. Like 15 grand!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
You all know my appreciation for fine woodworking, but these things are far from it. Sloppy dovetail joints, crude finishing and sanding, and mis-matched woodgrains on a lot of pieces. Some of the intricate carvings are very impressive though.

It is used 3-4x a year max, and every time I plop my arse onto it for christmas and thanksgiving I scoff (inside) at how $$$ it is.

They also think headphones are a waste of $$$.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
my parents had custom furniture imported from China... hard, uncomfortable and ugly as all he11. Like 15 grand!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
You all know my appreciation for fine woodworking, but these things are far from it. Sloppy dovetail joints, crude finishing and sanding, and mis-matched woodgrains on a lot of pieces. Some of the intricate carvings are very impressive though.

It is used 3-4x a year max, and every time I plop my arse onto it for christmas and thanksgiving I scoff (inside) at how $$$ it is.

They also think headphones are a waste of $$$.

Basically, pretty much everyone has their own hobby/hole to throw their money into. The rest who don't are poor consumers who don't do their research and end up spending more than they should be on nearly everything they buy, so it makes up for it. Or have very good self control.
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 8
My parents also have an ungodly expensive dining-room set ($9000 10+ years ago). To add insult to injury they are terrible cooks and alwaya have at least 2 moldy items in their fridge at all times.

My fridge, on the other hand, is filled with good food (there is a 5 day maximum for leftovers), and my table & chairs were probably $75 new... I got them for free off the curb
smily_headphones1.gif
And they're in the same room as $6000 HT gear, and a pile of dirty Wal*Mart clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back