Classic Silver Disc Spinners
May 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
So, after seeing this eBay auction for a Philips CD880 reach dizzying heights, and then reading this webpage, it whetted my appetite enough to dig out one of my Philips CD850's (I have an absolutely mint boxed one tucked away for when it is a sellers market)..

Much moving around later, set it up, fired it up and then put in a disc... Wow! - I cannot believe what the digital (well. MP3) age has done to us!!  This player sounds fantastic!

Anyway, I'm sure that there aren't that many people interested in these old fangled 'CD' players, but - just thought I would see if we could get a bit of a renaissance thread going, for those of us who're still spinning the silver discs :)

Enjoy...

May 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 5
I alway quite fancied the Philips CD104 but the Philips CD100 is perhaps the most beautiful CD player ever, and the Philips CD-303 was a very cool idea.
Sony CDP-302 was another I always fancied an the Pioneer PD-1 is perhaps the coolest looking CD player of all time.
Saying all that though I honestly think that the Technics MASH decks and Marantz CD67se are as good as anything I have heard.

May 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Hmm...

Glad I'm not alone :)

Must admit to being envious of the CD880 in the link above :frowning2:

One thing that I forgot about this CD850 is that I replaced the output ICs with BB 627's, sounds better than the digital out :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 5
...Trying to revive this thread, dug out an old DAC earlier, an ebay special from about 8 years ago, TDA1543/CS8412 non OS, black gates etc. - wow, sounds very good for all pocket money prices :)

...That is the beauty of this old equipment, what you can squeeze out of it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back