Classic Rock Radio Sucks!
Dec 30, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
Oldies stations are worse. Sad thing is that it's on the radio every day at work, and I can't turn it off.

I swear it's the same playlist every single day set to "shuffle."

not to disprove your point but for some strange reason in olympia washington we have the best oldies station i've ever heard. I think some old guy runs it out of his pocket, there are very, very few comercials and most are public service anouncments. The music ranges from the only period when country was great to ancient jazz. Some of them deep cuts that even after 6 years of listening to this station semi-regularly ones that i've never heard before. Its quite amazing.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT107
Has anyone in the NY area listened to WFUV, Fordham university radio? Try
Pete Fornatale Mixed Bag or Vince Scelsa Idiot's Delight.

Speaking of university radios, I think that two of the best radio stations in the NYC area happen to be the Columbia and NYU stations. Both have incredible jazz selections and the guy at Columbia in particular REALLY knows what he's talking about.

I heard him say something like this the other day (paraphrasing here):

"The January 20th session was not as good as the January 21st session, because on that day the musicians were suffering from slight indigestion from a bad breakfast..."

It just cracked me up that somebody knew that much about this music - but it also assured me that I was listening to a quality station. You can't find too many of those around anymore.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Speaking of university radios, I think that two of the best radio stations in the NYC area happen to be the Columbia and NYU stations. Both have incredible jazz selections and the guy at Columbia in particular REALLY knows what he's talking about.

I heard him say something like this the other day (paraphrasing here):

"The January 20th session was not as good as the January 21st session, because on that day the musicians were suffering from slight indigestion from a bad breakfast..."

It just cracked me up that somebody knew that much about this music - but it also assured me that I was listening to a quality station. You can't find too many of those around anymore.

This is so true! The university stations in NYC are the only ones I can listen to. On the other hand, if I liked Latin, I would be in heaven. For some reason every other station my Marantz can pick up here is Latin!

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 40
Classic rock is dead to me, as it probably is to many people in my generation (under 35) for the same reasons stated by the original poster.

However, there is an excellent Jazz station in our area.

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #37 of 40
the classic rock station here plays the same 25 songs over and over, and our oldies station has started playing stuff from the mid 70's
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #38 of 40
It's not just your station. It's the entire genre. Classic Rock as a format is very very narrow. Yes, the era had more to offer, but that is not what CR stations are playing. I lived in one city which had a CR station that played maybe 40 different songs, and then I moved across the country to another city with another CR station and they played EXACTLY THE SAME 40 SONGS. Different markets, same marketing.

There are only so many times you can hear "Still The One" and "Reeling In The Years" (they play that one at least 100 times a day, don't they??).

Then again, they are playing to an increasingly senile working class audience that probably doesn't care and just wants the kids of their lawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back