Classic Rock HD Tracks Compared to CD's (Apple Lossless)
Oct 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KBGolfRunner

New Head-Fier
Has anyone downloaded a Classic Rock album on HD Tracks that sounds A LOT better than a CD/FLAC/Lossless, etc.?  This would be one surely recorded in Analog, but I've been tempted to buy some with my new headphones and equipment.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 10
well, I don't have any HD Tracks's downloads in particular, but I do have a few 24/96 vynil rips.

I've uploaded for you two samples of the same record: one is from an Original Master Recording CD; the other is from a vinyl rip.

the differences are striking; anyone who says it's just the volume... not only there are something wrong with their ears, but probably with their brain too.

I would encourage in particular the guys here who like to test and measure to download these samples, so maybe they can tell us more about what is going on.

I've included the rips data. I'm not the author of these rips. please delete them after use.

KBGolfRunner, please don't assume these are the same as HD Tracks.

Samples

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 10
It all depends... and none of it depends on the format.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Lenny - I have an Apple MacBook and don't have the software to convert FLAC's yet.  Any chance you could put that in an AIFF format?  

On that note, is there a good free or low cost conversation software package for FLAC's to iTunes?  I'm currently in graduate school, so I can't buy what I want to buy now :frowning2:

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 10
So, it sounds like HD Tracks goes out and uses better Master Recordings.  Ergo, their tracks are going to sound better whether you buy 16/44.1 or 24/192 - I wouldn't hear the difference.  Is this correct?

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 10
There are two issues...

1) Are they really using better mastered copies?

2) Will higher bitrate mean better sound quality?

I am positive that the answer to 2 is no. I suspect the answer to 1 is sometimes no as well.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 10
  Lenny - I have an Apple MacBook and don't have the software to convert FLAC's yet.  Any chance you could put that in an AIFF format?  

On that note, is there a good free or low cost conversation software package for FLAC's to iTunes?  I'm currently in graduate school, so I can't buy what I want to buy now :frowning2:

I don't have the software to that either, atm. I think you could use Decibel, which should be free to try.

okay, I have got some HDTracks in three different formats: mp3 (320kb), flac (16bit), and flac (24/96).

I briefly compared the mp3s to the 24/96 tracks and couldn't reliably tell them apart.

then I compared the HDTrack's mp3s to the an equivalent from a CD rip, and the result was kinda surprising.

the HDTrack rips are not what you might expect, and there's a good chance that you might prefer the CD rips.

I've sent you a PM with a link to the mp3 files, please let us know what you think.

if anyone is interested in testing these files feel free to PM me, or I can post the link here if it's okay.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 10

XLD.
And there is no reason for you to use AIFF over ALAC.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 10
  Has anyone downloaded a Classic Rock album on HD Tracks that sounds A LOT better than a CD/FLAC/Lossless, etc.?  This would be one surely recorded in Analog, but I've been tempted to buy some with my new headphones and equipment.

I don't know if I would describe the difference as "A LOT better."  I would rather track down a good CD mastering instead because it's usually cheaper.  I think you'll get more of a sound quality jump out of buying some nicer headphones or playback hardware.

Some of the releases there are true high-rez; and yes some do sound noticeably better than a CD; but I have heard of upsampled CD's being submitted to HDTracks by record companies before.  I'd just do some research before buying an album there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back