Classic portable CD with optical or digital out?
Nov 17, 2002 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
After seeing the cool Sony D-25S at yesterday's head-fi meet I want a classic CD player like that. Since I'm the owner of the Grace 901 amp that was there yesterday I want anything I get to have digital output so that I can use the internal DAC if necessary - when driving K1000s the volume is fine with digital sources but some players have a low line out level and then things are too quiet. Skippy's Optimus 3400 player showed this off dramatically.

So what player meets these criteria -

- optical or digital output
- build quality - something like a D-25 or D-35
- will run from AC power using a wall wart
- buttons on top, no remote needed to operate/no need to lift unit to press buttons on the side.

battery life, ESP, equalizer, tuner, are all unimportant.

Is Sony the only company that ever made a solid metal portable CD player?

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Is Sony the only company that ever made a solid metal portable CD player?

No. I have a Technics SL-XP7 made in 1985 and touted as the "world's smallest CD player" when it was introduced. I had it at the NYC meet yesterday, but left it in the car. However, there is no optical or digital out. I don't know of any "classics" that do. The recent metal Sony DJ-E01 slot loader has an optical line out.
BTW, it was nice meeting you aeberbach.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 3
about the sony "classics"... sony d-555 and d-303 both have optical output, excelent construction, the buttons on top and both run on wall adaptors, the d-303 also runs on two AA's ..d-555 has lots of features but you said it is not important..so try to look for d-303 as it usually sells for le$$ that d-555

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back