Classic noob in need!
Mar 7, 2010 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TabooPc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Hi-fiers,

Let me start this off by saying I have never listened to classical prior to the last couple months.

I'm looking for some good classical music to play through my various headphones. It doesn't necessarily need to be classic. But the classical style. Not really sure what to call it... Symphony?

As far as sound, I want a mystical type of sound; dark even. I really like listening to sound tracks for fantasy games when they are performed by symphonies.

Also need some that are calm and relaxing. Not a fan of vocals so you can count those out, unless they are a large group of people (choir).

Thanks for any recommendations!

-TabooPC

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, from what I've read, if you could get the 1st Movement of Mahler's 2nd Symphony on it's own (which is the "Allegro Maestoso"), it might fit your needs

It's grand, dark, slightly strange, and I always imagined it telling a story of a monster terrorising the village (serious!).

If you really want "mystical", you can look up Scriabin symphonies on youtube, that's pretty... erm... mystical (or just incomprehensible to my none musical mind)

OH, and Dies Irae from Verdi

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 12
On a slightly less related topic, the ENTIRE BEETHOVEN symphonic collection conducted by Karajan is only FRIGGING £4.50 on Amazon MP3, that's the entire 9 FUDGING Symphonies, if this isn't a frekking steal, I don't know what is.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 12
If you're looking for exciting mystical, dark and relaxing here's a deal: Telarc made many spectacular recordings of fine music and a huge amount of their catalog is available now at Bershire Record Outlet for a pittance. Check out Berkshire Record Outlet - Bargain Classical Music and go to Advanced Search, then search by Label. The Atlanta recordings of Shostakovich, Mahler, Kodaly, and others are superb in everyway: sound and performance. Yoel Levi does particulalry fine with Shostakovich. It's a great way to get started. Telarc rarely turned out a dud, and at these prices get 'em while you can!

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 12
X2 on Shostakovich (symphonie 1,4,5,7,8,9,10) and Mahler (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
smily_headphones1.gif
)
o, Tchaikovsky's 6th, doesnt get any darker then that..

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Relaxing:
Mahler - Symphony 5 IV
Bach - Cello Suite #1 in G Prelude
Beethoven Symphony V second movement

More Dynamic than Relaxing:
Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 18(Absolute favorite)
Beethoven Symphony 5, 7
Mozart - Requiem, Lacrimosa (It's vocal but worth checking out, very dark and moving)
Mozart - Symphony 40 in G minor

Piano:
Chopin - Ballde No 1 in G minor
Nocturne Op. 9 No 2 in E Flat

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 12
I haven't been able to get into Mahler's 5th so much, but definately recommend No. 2 and 6. Mahler's 8th seems to be recommended often as well, but again I just haven't really been able to get into it. Perhaps it's the particular performances.

But I think 2 and 6 will be right up your alley.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions!

I just ordered Beethoven, Symphonies 5 & 7 and, Mahler, Symphony #6.

listened to them on youtube and liked the styles.

Once I get a few listens in on these cds ill definitely be getting more.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Perhaps Mahler's darkest completed symphony is his 6th, the 2nd is his most exciting.

The 9th however is his most personal (I think) and if it were a painting it would have the most impasto. I would check this one out based on what you're looking for.

The 10th Symphony which he didn't finish is by far his darkest but I can't include that as he didn't finish the orchestration, but the first movement is the most terrifying, most dark and ugly movement of music I have heard to this day.

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Stravinsky!!!

Check out the firebird suite, and even darker, the last rite of spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back