Classic, Nano 3g and touch SQ comparism (short!)
Oct 15, 2007 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
I had a chance to compare my touch and 3g nano today with an 80 gig classic my brother bought. Well, in a nutshell while a little cleaner, the 3d positioning- soundstage is off. Instruments in songs I really am familar with sounded out of place and one dimensional. The new nano sounds very close to the touch- 5.5, but maybe a little more low end, but the classic sounds very thin. I was really suprised that there was that much of a difference, this was through the headphone out, I didn't have time to amp it.

Usually ipods sound very close to me with no EQ. The classic does indeed sound different. I don't think it sounds bad, just weird and very narrow, which I don't like. I used my senn. 580's and my shure e500's with the same apple lossless files. Of course as always IMHO and YMMV
icon10.gif

If I had to rate the new ipods (ho) it would be

1. nano 3g , very nice across the spectrum and very little hiss.

2. touch, very good soundstage and detail, just a bit more noise than nano.

3. classic, lowest hiss of all, but seems too digital and thin. highs seem a little off also.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually ipods sound very close to me with no eq.

Sorry for the childishness but i literally spewed my soda when reading that
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you sound WITH an EQ?
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the childishness but i literally spewed my soda when reading that
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you sound WITH an EQ?
wink.gif

LOL
redface.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to compare my touch and 3g nano today with an 80 gig classic my brother bought. Well, in a nutshell while a little cleaner, the 3d positioning- soundstage is off. Instruments in songs I really am familar with sounded out of place and one dimensional. The new nano sounds very close to the touch- 5.5, but maybe a little more low end, but the classic sounds very thin. I was really suprised that there was that much of a difference, this was through the headphone out, I didn't have time to amp it.

Usually ipods sound very close to me with no EQ. The classic does indeed sound different. I don't think it sounds bad, just weird and very narrow, which I don't like. I used my senn. 580's and my shure e500's with the same apple lossless files. Of course as always IMHO and YMMV
icon10.gif

If I had to rate the new ipods (ho) it would be

1. nano 3g , very nice across the spectrum and very little hiss.

2. touch, very good soundstage and detail, just a bit more noise than nano.

3. classic, lowest hiss of all, but seems too digital and thin. highs seem a little off also.

Agreed. On top of that, they ALL improve with dock line out vs headphone, and the ranking only changes to have the 3G nano and touch tie, with classsic in 4th place close to but behind the 5.5G video ipod.

Lastly, I WAS BLOWN AWAY by the improvement in my Touch and 3G nano with my new ALO jumbo cry x silver dock line out for iMod! I've been using $14-$25 eBay cables, or the sendstation pocket dock while my ALO mino cryo LOD was being replaced, and they were somewhat better than headphones. I didn't expect this at all the first time I fired up the 3G with Tomahawk and found I had bass boost all of a sudden
icon10.gif

I couldn't try this LOD with the classic, because the classic I tested the first time wasn't mine and isn't available now (since it was my friends.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back