Classic matchup ER-4p vs E5c
Apr 11, 2004 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

turn1200

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase some headphones for my ipod mini. It looks like it will come down to the classic ety ER-4p vs Shure E5c. I listen to all sorts of music. However, my primary interest lies in dance music - Deep Dish, Sander Kleinenberg, Hybrid, and even stuff like Banco De Gaia. I am really big on clarity of sound and do not like muddy bass. I plan on primarily using the headphones without an amplifier. I will uses the phones in the gym when lifting weights, for running, on airplanes, at my desk at work and even when I’m walking any sort of distance (for example walking to a bar) as I can fit the mini and headphone easily in my pocket (talk about portable!).

I was planning to go with the 4p’s as people generally seem torn between both of these models and as such, the ety’s give the most bang for the buck. Now I’m considering trying to order both so that I can make a fair comparison. This will obviously involve some work (as far as burning both sets in). I’ve read a ton of stuff on the website here comparing the two but didn’t really get as much information on what styles of music most of the people who own either headphone listen to. I’m hoping people could give some information on how different artists sound on these headphone models.

So two final questions.

1)Could I order both pairs from Headphone.com to evaluate and return the pair I don’t like within 30 days? I might consider this if it is easy enough to do and won’t cost too much.

2)Will the Shure’s work well off of the signal an unamplified ipod produces?

Thanks for any help and I’ve really enjoyed finding this site and hearing from people who are into high quality sound as I am.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by turn1200
So two final questions.

1) Could I order both pairs from Headphone.com to evaluate and return the pair I don’t like within 30 days? I might consider this if it is easy enough to do and won’t cost too much.

Email Idealsound about getting and evaluating these headphones instead, and see what his return policies are like. The prices are cheaper than Headroom... and the service is fast and prompt (he overnights them for no extra charge).

Quote:

2) Will the Shure’s work well off of the signal an unamplified ipod produces?

Yes, they will work just fine directly from the iPod. In fact, ER-4 is harder to drive than the E5c.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd order the ER4P from headroom. Once you get it, go to your local Guitar Center for the E5. CG has a 15 day unconditional return with no restocking fee.

The E5 is more sensitive than the ER4. You may need to get a volume control to attenuate the noise. The E5 is very sensitive to noise.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 16
Idealsound, he's one of Head-Fi's official sponsor, you'll find him on the Head-Fi homepage down towards the sponsor area.

He doesn't list the real price on the page.. email him.

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Idealsound's FAQ

I am afraid that they have a 15% restocking fee. I'd order from Guitar Center. They will match prices and can deal with problems locally. I asked them and they told me that on the E5, they have a 15 day unconditional return with no restocking fee.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT

The E5 is more sensitive than the ER4. You may need to get a volume control to attenuate the noise. The E5 is very sensitive to noise.

is this a big problem with the E5s? what does it mean by saying the E5s are sensitive to noise??
thanks!

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 16
lindrone,

I emailed idealsound and haven't heard back yet (I'm sure I will soon). Is he the cheapest? Also, I was wondering if the shures are good for lying in bed? Or do they jut out too much? Thanks for all the help.

tab_deep_dish_dd_red.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is this a big problem with the E5s? what does it mean by saying the E5s are sensitive to noise??
thanks!

Regardless of your source or amp, every source and amp has a "noise floor"... it's where you can start hearing electronic hissing and other type of noise. Unfortunately the E5c's sensitivity really picks up the noise floor of a lot of equipments out there. You might have hear hisses with any other headphones in your posession, plug the E5c in.. and instantly you hear hissing and buzzing. It is a problem with the E5c, and it makes choosing equipments to go alongside with E5c a little hard.

It's not impossible to find E5c completely silent with your system.. but I have to admit it's hard. You have to make careful source/amp choices. However, adding more resistance in the line (with a cable or plug) and using the volume attenator (which is a volume-switch attachment, basically) that came with the E5c both reduces the noise. It might reduce some other sound characteristic as well though. So it's a matter of experiment.

Quote:

Also, I was wondering if the shures are good for lying in bed? Or do they jut out too much?

If the Shure's fit you properly, the E2c and E5c both fit flush with your ear, they do not stick out. The only question is if your ear size is large enough to contain the entire driver housing in the ear. My GF's ear is pretty small, she can't get the E5c's housing into her ear.

E3c, when worn over the ear, also fits flush with your ear, and the smaller housing makes it less of a problem with different ear sizes... they do not stick out as far as the ER-4's.

Quote:

IdealSound is not the cheapest, but he has good prices. My local guitar center quoted me $350 for the E5.

Good to know, when I checked with Guitar Center about half a year ago, they didn't have the E5 for anything less than $499. I guess they've finally changed the prices on them.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 16
I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket here, but I truly believe it's better to pay a little extra (either in the beginning with a no fee return policy) or the 15% restocking fee if you're knowingly going to test out two headphones and return one of them -- one that cannot be sold again at full price.

Sorry about that rant. I used to be a dealer and I used to work for a manufacturer -- though I'm currently just joe consumer looking for a deal like the rest of you.... I just get upset when small companies like Etymotic are lumped with Sony or small dealers like iDealSound are lumped with Guitar Center....

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Don't forget Todd, and see if he can price match.

BTW, I'd say if you want clarity, go Etys... unless you're using them for running and lifting weights, then I'd say Shures.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Don't forget Todd, and see if he can price match.

BTW, I'd say if you want clarity, go Etys... unless you're using them for running and lifting weights, then I'd say Shures.

I am gonna go with the Prophonics 2X. I have an appointment setup with Mike Santucci's office to listen to his line-up or IEMs. After we talked today, I am convinced they are the sure thing to get. Now...I hope they sound good.

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 16
Can we count you as lindrone's first convert to the 2X-S? I have been wavering a bit in the past week between the continued posession of my Ety 4s and Shure E5s and/or a jump over to the 2X-S. I went so far as to call Sensaphonics this AM and pick their brains a little bit. I also got the name of the appointed audiologist in the DC-area if I move forward with this.

One question I would not mind lindrone's input on concerned the cord for the ProPhonics -- the gal at Sensaphonics (Doris) mentioned a replaceable Teflon cord that connects to the actual monitors' cable(s) and it is this cable that can be ordered in longer lengths to add to the 48" that the 2X-S comes with standard. Where does this cable connect? Is it to the "pod" where the E5 crossover would be (i.e., similar location) or is it in another location entirely? I want to be sure that they get the order filled out properly IF I go this route. Not that I will....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #15 of 16
I think the cord they were talking about is a black, long teflon cord that is detachable. If it is indeed what I think it may be, then it does attach itself to the "pod" area of the 2X-S.

The cord is thicker, heavier.. however, it's really not that detracting from a daily usage point of view... the new cord is much, much lighter, even lighter than the cord used with the E5c. Even though it's short, I don't really have a big issue with it, but I do have to "clip" my iPod to my belt now rather than just putting it in my pocket and go (it's just barely long enough.. rather tight tension on the cord).

It is really your personal choice, whether or not having a longer cord is really beneficial to you from a daily usage point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back