Classic Marantz Receiver
Dec 3, 2003 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey; I'm down at my grandpa's, and found a turntable and receiver. Naturally, I had to try it out
biggrin.gif
Man, this sucker sounds good! Likely due to the fact that I haven't experienced much vinyl, but still, this is nice. I'm using my HD 280's, and unamped, this receiver is driving them LOUD. About 1/3 of the way up is too loud.

On to the main issue... I'm trying to I.D. the receiver. It's a Marantz SR 7000, but it's old. I saw a picture of a newer one, and it looks nothing like it, other than being the same color. It's got a huge analog wheel near the top for the radio, which is very smooth in action. It has a selector switch for source, you can choose from FM, AM, Phono, or Aux. It has two notch filters, 8 KHz and 20 KHz. And a loudness switch. Also, a 3-band EQ. Also, the EQ and volume are stepped attenuators. Sorry I'm having to describe it, I brought our digicam, but no USB cable for it
frown.gif
Also, I'm assuming this to be a tube amp, judging from it's overall warm sound, smooth sounding distortion, (not at all like my Discman or SS bass amp) and the fact that it takes about 5 seconds for any sound when you turn it on.

Anyway, if anyone could comment and/or give some links, it'd be appreciated. Googling didn't turn up much, just stuff about the new ones.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Dec 3, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 9
If it has an "SR" before the number, then it is a "post" Sun Valley Marantz. Which it is newer that 1980, or so, it also means that it is not a tube model. All the "vintage" stuff is numerical like: 2240, 4240 or Model 18, etc. The SR 7000 was likely manufactured after the company had been sold to Philips Corp. . . . . The Marantz name, like so many of the "classic hi-fi marquees has been sold, and re-sold by companies not willing to establish their own brand identity. . . . . . Enjoy the music!

- augustwest

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Yes, it says on the front and back, SR 7000. Also, there's some letter after 7000, but due to the insane stylistic cursive it has, I can't figure out what it is. I'm guessing a J, but not positive.

Also of possible use, there are LED signal strength and level meters on the bottom left of the unit.

I suppose it could just be retro looking or something, but seriously, it looks like 70's design or something. Tell you what, I'll take a picture with the digicam, and when we get back tomorrow, I'll post it.

Dec 3, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

then it is a "post" Sun Valley Marantz

I'm just curious as to what you mean by that? Were they based in Sun Valley, ID?

edit: I'm guessing that Sun Valley was a reference to the warm sound discussed in the thread below mine :)

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 9
The Marantz receiver you found is one of the late 70s/early 80s models. These are all solid-state, not tube based, however the Marantz receivers were known for their warm tube-like sound.

The SR-7000 may not be as highly regarded as some of the other older Marantz gear, but it is still a very good receiver. When you consider that you can pick up a similar 22xx series receiver for under $100, these vintage Marantz receivers are a very good value and make outstanding headphone amplifiers, as good as any headphone amp costing several hundred dollars if not more.

Dec 4, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 9
The "Sun Valley" refers Sun Valley California, which was the home of Marantz after Superscope purchased the company from the founder Saul Marantz. Both the original New Jersey Marantz & the later Sun Valley Marantz equipment is held in high reguard by collectors.

"MKMELT" is quite right when he says that these vintage Marantz units make outstanding headphone amplifiers. On "MKMELT's" advice I have been using my "vintage" 2285 to drive my HD600's & Grado SR 225's with outstanding results. . . . . The question that I have often pondered, is why more Headfi-er's don't take advantage these units given the price they can be had for. They make not only a great headphone amp, but offer the ability to drive speakers, in the case of the receivers include a tuner, plus some EQ, and multiple inputs, all for in many cases less than $100.00!

Enjoy your Marantz, they are a wonderful value in this time of over priced electronics.

- augustwest

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 9
As promised, here's the picture...

marantz.jpg

As for using one as am amp, I suppose 'twould be much easier, as you could hook everything into it. However, there's also something to be said for making a homemade one that's designed to do exactly one thing; amplify for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back