Classic Jazz 1957 - 1968 Discussion
Feb 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
Looking to talk jazz with lovers of the '57 through ' 68 era. From Kind of Blue up until the death of Trane in 67 and Wes in 68. I love most of the Blue Note stuff, and have put together quite a collection over the years. Who are some of you favorite artists in this era? Do you play any instruments?

I love the guitarists of this era, from Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, George Benson's early period, and especially Wes! (Yes I am a guitar player)  But, as much as I love those guitar players, I generally prefer to list to horn players like Dexter Gordon, Lester Young, Hank Mobley, Stan Getz, and so many more. Horn player's phrasing is usually so much better and more melodic than guitar players. I am a software engineer, and when I'm not in meetings, I usually have jazz playing in the background.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm pretty new in jazz and I use Wikipedia and the The Penguin Guide to Jazz (latest version, not the older ones) to find "new" artistes to listen with a streaming service.

When I like it, I buy the CDs, if possible in a box set because I like to have a more global look at the career and the works.

I started with the most known artists, so you will not discover some underrated artists with me. In brief, I really likes Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus.

The more I listen to jazz, the more I regret not to have learnt to play an instrument.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I'm pretty new in jazz and I use Wikipedia and the The Penguin Guide to Jazz (latest version, not the older ones) to find "new" artistes to listen with a streaming service.

When I like it, I buy the CDs, if possible in a box set because I like to have a more global look at the career and the works.

I started with the most known artists, so you will not discover some underrated artists with me. In brief, I really likes Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus.

The more I listen to jazz, the more I regret not to have learnt to play an instrument.

All incredible players. You may be interested in "The Blue Box - Blue Note's Best" CD set. It's a great way to sample the Blue Note artists, of which there were so many great ones. I don't have it, mostly because I have so many CD's by the artists themselves.   On the other hand, using a streaming service like Pandora or MOG, may be a better way to check out different artists before you buy. I like CD's too, which I rip to lossless then I store the CD's.

How old are you? Playing an instrument is so satisfying at any age, even if it's just to have some fun. It doesn't always have to be to play well enough to record or perform professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back