Classic bass guitar tracks?
Nov 1, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #17 of 58
Yes - Roundabout - From Fragile
After the initial acoustic guitar intro, the famous Chris Squire Rickenbacher bass kicks in. You can't miss it. Classic bass line from one of the best

Rush - Tom Sawyer - From Moving Pictures
After the intro synth and drum spash, Geddy Lee's bass pretty much carries the song, including the solo.

I could come up with 100 more, but I concentrated on songs many people should be familiar with.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #18 of 58
the first time i held my bass guitar, i spent an hour learning to play "sympathy for the devil."
wyman's bass line is not mixed prominently in the recording, nor is it technically complex, but it just drives that whole song.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 58
[size=x-large]PRIMUS SUCKS![/size]

pick up any of their albums. notable tracks include (but are not limited to) "Pudding Time," "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver" and "Tommy the Cat."

Les Claypool shames all other bassists

May 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 58
With Or Without You by U2
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, most of the 3 man ( or 3 instrument ) bands will feature strong, interesting bass lines. They have to be to fill out the sound.

May 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 58
Cream! I am thinking Crossroads, Badge.
Steely Dan - Jack Of Speed, Cousin Dupree, Peg, FM, Hey Nineteen the list goes on and on, nothing but awesome bass.
Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife wicked bass wicked song, also checkout Southbound again, Communiqué.
Van Morrison - Browned Eye Girl, doesn't get much more classic than that.
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil.

May 19, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #24 of 58
So long as you don't mind crossing over into the jazz/rock area, you might try picking up something by French bassist Alain Caron. Try for example Slam the Clown off the album Rhythm'n Jazz. I made the mistake of loaning this CD to a bass player friend of mine about 9 months ago, and have yet to get it back!

May 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #25 of 58
+1 for:
"Flea" with the Chili Peppers
McCartney with the Beatles
Les Claypool (I recommend the Oysterhead trio with Copeland and Anastasio)

Now, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sting with the Police! Okay, so a lot of their music hasn't aged so well... and their 'reunion tour' has apparently been kind of a joke... but I still think a lot of the early stuff is great.

Also, how about Rick Danko with the Band? Admittedly, a lot of the early recordings, while great sounding, aren't so high fidelity, so it helps to listen on a nice system. They had not the flashiest, but the funkiest rock rhythm section of their time. Check out Danko's lines on Jawbone (from the album "The Band").

May 20, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #29 of 58
"The Real Me" - John Entwhistle with the Who. JE was the lead player in that band, and he did it with only four strings. No disrespect to Pete Townshend, to this day one of the great rock rhythm guit players.

"Birdland" - Jaco Pastorius with Weather Report. Speaks for itself.

"School Days" - Stanley Clarke. The opening bass riff is hair-raising. This, like the Weather Report track referred to above, is technically fusion. But it rocks like the Stones. Jazz/Rock that succeeds as both.

May 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the first time i held my bass guitar, i spent an hour learning to play "sympathy for the devil."
wyman's bass line is not mixed prominently in the recording, nor is it technically complex, but it just drives that whole song.

One of my favorite basslines too, but Richards played it, not Wyman. He also played bass on "Live With Me" - another killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back