Class T-Amps to drive Sennheisers???
Apr 23, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

geforcewong

100+ Head-Fier
My uncle used to work at Tripath and offered to sell me his mini amp built in a Mini Mag Lite box. This amp uses the same chip as the Sonic Impact Class T Amp except in a more portable version with no volume knob(Selling for $27 with AC adaptor). Do you think a Class T amp can drive a pair of Sennheiser HD600's?
600smile.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 3
It'll probably be too much power for the Senns. Also, you'll need two mono connectors to replace the spring clips, or four bare wires from the headphones, as it has no headphone jack. And SUPPOSEDLY there's some risk of potential ear damage resulting from ultrasonic noise created from using higher impedance phones than what the amp was designed for (4-8 ohm speakers). What you could do it ask your uncle to solder a 10W or 12W resistor in parallel on each output terminals of the appropriate impedance to bring it down to a 6 Ohm load so the ultrasonic filter works properly and you don't blow out your headphones. You'll need to find out what impedance the HD600's are, because I couldn't find the specs on it.

Apr 24, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Frequency response: 12 - 39,000 Hz
Transducer principle: dynamic, open
Frequency characteristic: diffuse field equalised
Nominal impedance: 300 ohms
Characteristic SPL at 1 kHz -97 dB
Load rating: -0.2 mW
THD: < 0.1%
Ear coupling: circumaural
Weight (without cable): -260 g
Connector: 3.5 mm ø stereo mini jack plug with adaptor to 1/4" (6.3 mm) stereo jack plug
Connection cable: 3 m, detachable dual-sided OFC copper cable

Yea the amp was made for speakers I guess...But this means I have to buy a dedicated headphone amp which are pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back