Class D in Headphone Amplifiers
Oct 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been poking around the diyAudio Forums recently and have been struck by all the raving about Class D amplifiers there.

Does anyone here have any thoughts about, or experiences with, Class D applications in headphone amplifiers?

I'm not terribly tech-savvy, but I'm left wondering why we don't see much posted about this type of amplifier here on Head-Fi.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 20
I like class D for larger amps where component cost, heat and electrical efficiency become factors. Class D might be good for a portable amp because of the efficiency. I don't understand why Class D would be attractive for a home headphone amp.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 20
I think that the only advantage to class D amps is that they dont get hot and you can get lots of power for less money. Since neither is an issue for headphone amps, and considereing on the average they dont hold up sonicly to the A, A/AB amps.......Not really a need for them with headphones.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the only advantage to class D amps is that they dont get hot and you can get lots of power for less money. Since neither is an issue for headphone amps, and considereing on the average they dont hold up sonicly to the A, A/AB amps.......Not really a need for them with headphones.

I would disagree about them not holding up sonically with other amps.

The class D by great designers are world class. The best of tube mid range with SS bass and treble extension. It is a great technology and it's easy to hear if you hear well implemented class D technology.

IME a great 5,000.00 class D amp compares with other amps costing 5 times that.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 20
Class D has tons of potential for headphone amps. It would use a lot less power and sonically comparable to a linear Class A amp. The ones I've come across seems to have some background hiss though, but that could be to the power supply.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies!
smily_headphones1.gif

So are there currently any Class D headphone amps on the market?

I am under the impression the PS Audio headphone amp is class D, but don't quote me on that.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 20
Tripath amps can't have their grounds tied, boo!
Tripaths need an output filter most are designed for 4-16 ohms.
Tripaths have a rising response into high ohm loads.

Still they have potential in my opinion, I have a Diy paradise amp
that sounds very nice into speakers headphones not so much.

Here is digital amp designed for headphones that may be just around the corner.

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...osts=2&start=1

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 20
tomjtx,

taken directly off the PS Audio website:

GCHA Headphone Amplifier

Starting at just $995.00!

Class A power amp
Drives any headphones
USB input
Analog inputs
Gain Cell driven
Front panel controls gain
Huge power supply

So it's Class A.

It's an easy mistake to make, since they do make Class D amps.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 20
the kenwood players as well as all modern portable md players use class d amplification - the battery life is the best thing i see in it though the sharp amplifiers also got better headphone-load s/n ratio - 88db! consider that those auvi amplifiers (oh yes, all auvi amplifiers are class d) in the small md units outclass the best of the portable hd players and flash players who under load never get better than 85 db of separation, but most about 80-83.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like class D for larger amps where component cost, heat and electrical efficiency become factors. Class D might be good for a portable amp because of the efficiency. I don't understand why Class D would be attractive for a home headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think these answers are right on. Inexpensive class D is only so-so, and since headphone amps need so much less power than speaker amps, the main benefits of class D don't seem to make sense for a home headphone amp, for all the same reasons that tubes DO make sense for headphone amps where they are more of a challenge for speaker amps.

But for a battery powered portable amp there might be a good reason to use class D.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inexpensive class D is only so-so, and since headphone amps need so much less power than speaker amps, the main benefits of class D don't seem to make sense for a home headphone amp, for all the same reasons that tubes DO make sense for headphone amps where they are more of a challenge for speaker amps.

But for a battery powered portable amp there might be a good reason to use class D.

So inexpensive is probably out.

How about an amplifier based around something like the highly-regarded Hypex UcD?

A quick search of the archives here turned up this thread.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these answers are right on. Inexpensive class D is only so-so, and since headphone amps need so much less power than speaker amps, the main benefits of class D don't seem to make sense for a home headphone amp, for all the same reasons that tubes DO make sense for headphone amps where they are more of a challenge for speaker amps.

I don't know very much about Class D amps, but it would seem that they could be useful in making smaller and cooler running balanced amp/DAC combos. I'm thinking specifically of HeadRoom's Balanced Desktop, which runs very warm with only the home modules. Perhaps Class D would allow them to shove the Max Modules in there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back