Class A battery powered desktop PSU / headphone amplifier
Aug 19, 2009 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eugenius

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking: If it's possible to make a multi-hundred watt class AB speaker amp completely battery powered (see the ASR Emitter's 26kg psu here), making a desktop battery powered PSU for a headphone amplifier would be much easier since the power requirement is a small percentage of that.

Now, I don't know, but maybe for a headphone amplifier it has a chance of being actually cheaper than an ultra-regulated PSU that must be made to withstand and filter all sorts of junk coming from the power lines.

Couple that PSU with a powerful Class A solid state amplifier, simple topology, few parts but the absolute parts for the job, and we have something.

Maybe even making desktop amplifier modules (tube, ss, hybrid, pixie dust flavored etc.) and using the PSU for all of them.

Since I'm not the type that thinks I had an original idea when I actually have one, somebody must have done this already, so what are my options?

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 4
If you know of a 12V headphone amp, you can probably run it off a 12V SLA battery, that's how I run my Pop Pulse digital converter. The ALO Amphora and Red Wine Audio products use SLA batteries to stay off the grid.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Technics sold a full sized cd player in the 90's that ran on batteries.
I have wonderd about using a battery with a solar panel to recharge.. but i live in the uk with only 3 days sun per year.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Recently, researching the Headcode, I found out about the Portacode - it really seems a VERY good portable amp ... should I put it in the desktop/transportable category? I doubt it's a Pico ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back