Clash of the titans: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. LeVry DA-10 vs. upgraded Zhalou DAC
Mar 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #826 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosik
Thanks for referring me to the Storm thread. The pictures look impressive.
Did anyone have a chance to compare the two DACs for sound?

Patu had the chance, but he didn't use it.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #827 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Patu had the chance, but he didn't use it.
wink.gif

It's more like I didn't have the money. I tried it for a 15 minutes with my amp though and it sounded very good. Easily outperformed my soundcard. Soundstage got wider and there was more body and details in sound. But as I said earlier I've already ordered D02 and waiting for it to arrive.

And can you believe this. Eddie sent me wrong power adaptor AGAIN! This time it's even more wrong than the first one. This is the adaptor which makes it possible to plug US power cord to EU wall socket. And it doesn't even work, it won't fit on my wall socket. This guy must be stupid or something not to realize what adapter I'm talking about. I even showed him the pic of the first (wrong) adapter. I don't have my Zhaolu anymore but I'd still have to give that adaptor to the buyer. Now he just have to wait longer.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #828 of 845
So yesterday I replaced the 3 opamps from the DAC board with browndogged OPA627s.
Much better than standard and still burning in. Every trace of harshness is gone. The DAC1 is really not a contender anymore for this Zhaolu. I can understand why in studios and such the DAC1 would perform perfectly, but the modded Zhaolu is much better for enjoying music.

Next step will be building an output as per AD1852 datasheet with just one opamp and maybe even go discrete as per the Ultranalog website (http://ultranalog.com/cdenhancer/sacdenhancer/) and top that with a DC-servo. Hints for the last option are most welcome.

Needles to say I am not going back to the DAC1; it is a very good DAC but the Zhaolu with some extra mods is just way better.

Cheers
Johan

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #831 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan in Brabant
So yesterday I replaced the 3 opamps from the DAC board with browndogged OPA627s.
Much better than standard and still burning in. Every trace of harshness is gone. The DAC1 is really not a contender anymore for this Zhaolu. I can understand why in studios and such the DAC1 would perform perfectly, but the modded Zhaolu is much better for enjoying music.

Next step will be building an output as per AD1852 datasheet with just one opamp and maybe even go discrete as per the Ultranalog website (http://ultranalog.com/cdenhancer/sacdenhancer/) and top that with a DC-servo. Hints for the last option are most welcome.

Needles to say I am not going back to the DAC1; it is a very good DAC but the Zhaolu with some extra mods is just way better.

Cheers
Johan

Hi Johan,

If you wan even better performance, if your power supply is the upgraded version, you can replace the single 5534 opamps with the single opa627 also. have fun
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #833 of 845
Quote:

No, not yet.

Will try to do that soon.
Maybe in the future I wil recase the Zhaolu and replace the jumper with a switch.

Johan

In my experience, you won't want to change the jumper position after trying 48/96kHz. You're in for a treat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Recasing would probably look nice, though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #834 of 845
Quote:

Dang you Viconte,

this way I´m using my supply of OPA627s way too fast.
I had almost forgotten that mod, thanks,

Johan

haha... u can try it first. Use the default opamps on your main DAC board 1st, den change the upgraded power supply's opamps, 5534, to the opa627, you might be surprised wif the improvement it makes
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #835 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
In my experience, you won't want to change the jumper position after trying 48/96kHz. You're in for a treat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ive been reading about this setting, but Im a little puzzled - is this only for those who resample at the source (computer) to 48khz, or is this for people using CDP or sources that only output 44.1khz?

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #836 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Ive been reading about this setting, but Im a little puzzled - is this only for those who resample at the source (computer) to 48khz, or is this for people using CDP or sources that only output 44.1khz?

I don't oversample myself (Foobar and E-MU PatchMix set to 44.1kHz), so I guess it's safe to assume that other non-oversampling sources would work fine too. Tried an 88.2kHz setting just to see if it works, and it did.
It's pretty easy to just change the jumper position and see if it works.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #837 of 845
Quote:

Next step will be building an output as per AD1852 datasheet with just one opamp and maybe even go discrete as per the Ultranalog website and top that with a DC-servo. Hints for the last option are most welcome.

The discrete part of that web page is a piggyback discrete opamp, which you can build yourself - or buy commercially.
The vague "description" mentions removing the 2.4K resistor, which is in the global feedback path. This will affect the frequency response of the filter circuit, so don't just do it blindly. You should copy a proven design or simulate it yourself before melting solder...
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #838 of 845
Wow...42 pages in a month. You guys are something...hehe j/k. Being just introduced to this hobby, my money is being emptied like crazy. Damn you people lol. Anyways, I have AKG K701 and I have a M3 being built as of right now and Im in search for a good DAC since I want to be on the same system permanently. Do you guys think that I should get a fully modded Zhalou and use the M3 as an amp or sell the M3 and use the headamp in the Zhalou? Or should I juts wait for the ver. 2 to come out?

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #839 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
Wow...42 pages in a month. You guys are something...hehe j/k. Being just introduced to this hobby, my money is being emptied like crazy. Damn you people lol. Anyways, I have AKG K701 and I have a M3 being built as of right now and Im in search for a good DAC since I want to be on the same system permanently. Do you guys think that I should get a fully modded Zhalou and use the M3 as an amp or sell the M3 and use the headamp in the Zhalou? Or should I juts wait for the ver. 2 to come out?

The 1.3 is not in production anymore. You should wait for 2.0 to come out, and then you can compare it's headphone out to your M3. My assumption is that the M3 would be superior, but you never know. If the headphone amp of 2.0 is what we called "upgraded headphone amp" with the 1.3, then it is supposed to be really good. Sean H reported to like the upgraded amp as much or more than his MAD Ear, a +500$ tube amp.

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #840 of 845
What about the DAC section on the 1.3 compared to the 2.0? is it suppose to be better than 1.3? Will it almost implement all of the upgrades and mods available for the 1.3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back