Clash of the titans: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. LeVry DA-10 vs. upgraded Zhalou DAC
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #31 of 845
"Headphones have a lot of sonic attributes, but they also lack many details that are extremely apparent on a speaker system. Soundstaging and spatial information do not come even close to the detail of a good speaker system. I've noticed the same phenomena with cables, so this is not unique to source equipment. The three DACs sounded very close through the headphones, almost to the point that it made no difference which one you pick."

This is the conclusion I always draw when comparing DAC's with speakers vs. headphones.

BTW, why the heck can't they just install the male IEC in the chassis instead of using the cheesy 2-prong to IEC adapter...?

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #32 of 845
no idea, but they are coming out with a new version (1.5) maybe in a few months so it's possible it could be changed; however, i would guess this has more to do about chinese power cords?

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #33 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
i got a reply from him:I quote for your consideration : in US dollars
-DAC is $180.
-op amp upgrade ( 1 pc ) metal DY2000 is $40 ( it improve the rnage of upper and lower frequency response ) .
-clock upgrade is $70 ( Mark Levinson parts , Mark use 2ppm clock and my
top clock is 1ppm . It is provide a more frequency accuracy )
-power supply up grade is $80. ( produce stable sound stage , improve the
punch of the bass )
-2 pins to IEC AC adaptor is $15 ( can use HI End power cord )
Speedpost ( 2 days , USA and Europe ) is $58.
TOTAL for FULL upgrade is $443.

Hey guys,

I have been following this thread for a long while and finally decided to get the Zhaolu!!

Im actually getting it from the official HongKong distributor of zhaolu, found here:

http://www.zhaolu.com/net.htm
Look for this "Wai Wai Value Co"
Hongkong address: 154 APLUI ST.1/F SHUM SHUI PO.KOWLOON H.K.
Tel. No: 852-27837612
His email is eddiewuhk@netvigator.com

Im not sure whether his parts are the same as Lawrence's, but certainly his prices are cheaper, so Im posting it if anyone is interested.

The prices are:

Zhaolu DAC $80.6US
Headamp upgrade(no stock) $38.3US
Power supply upgrade $48.7US
Clock upgrade (1ppm) $48.7US
DY2000 Ceramic $12.80US
DY2000 Metal-can $32.86US

I am ordering the modded Zhaolu with power supply, clock and DY2000 Metal-can. It should arrive this week. I will open up and take pictures and see if it's the same as Lawrence's Oh btw he does other mods, you can email him to ask too.

Cheers
Daniel

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #34 of 845
yikes; what sort of a profit is lawrence making if the base dac is $80 from the manufacturer?????

this is quite interesting.

i'm suprised no one has done this before. how is communication with the manufacturer?

i imagine the clock upgrade at least is different than lawrence's offering, but not sure about the psu or the headamp (which i assume are still mutually exclusive like always). someone could ask lawrence i guess. is lawrence really sellling the same basic dac for $100 more than the manufacturer? yikes. i have to wonder if the "power supply upgrade" and the "clock upgrade" are what lawrence uses as his BASIC model? just a wild guess, but otherwise this would seem nuts.

oh, and perhaps we've derailed this thread and specific zhaolu stuff should go in the zhaolu forum?

how much was shipping?

another question: when it says "headphone upgrade (no stock)" does that then mean that your dac will not have a headphone amp at all? i suppose that would make some sense.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #35 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
yikes; what sort of a profit is lawrence making if the base dac is $80 from the manufacturer?????

this is quite interesting.

i'm suprised no one has done this before. how is communication with the manufacturer?

i imagine the clock upgrade at least is different than lawrence's offering, but not sure about the psu or the headamp (which i assume are still mutually exclusive like always). someone could ask lawrence i guess. is lawrence really sellling the same basic dac for $100 more than the manufacturer? yikes. i have to wonder if the "power supply upgrade" and the "clock upgrade" are what lawrence uses as his BASIC model? just a wild guess, but otherwise this would seem nuts.

oh, and perhaps we've derailed this thread and specific zhaolu stuff should go in the zhaolu forum?

how much was shipping?

another question: when it says "headphone upgrade (no stock)" does that then mean that your dac will not have a headphone amp at all? i suppose that would make some sense.

Hi,

Communication with Eddie Wu is a breeze, his english is not perfect but understandable
smily_headphones1.gif

I was quite surprised when Lawrence offered the stock Zhaolu for $180US. Cos on the official zhaolu website,
http://www.zhaolu.com/products/product6.htm
解码器 D1.3豪华版外置解码器 599元
which means:
DAC Version D1.3 599RMB

599RMB is 74.5284 USD according to:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

The extra 6USD is the shipping charges that Eddie incurs for bringing the set from China to HK.

At this point I do not know whether Lawrence mods his stock zhaolu for $180US, it could be but I would not know.

Eddie has 2 types of clock upgrades, quoted from him:

"Hi!
The clock set unit consist one occlitor 6.144MHZ is to clock the digital signal . The $280(HK dollar) is the cost of the whole set with consist one 50 ppm occlitor which without the adjustment knob on top.If you select one ppm occlitor (with adjustment knob on top) and that will be $100(HK dollar) extra means $380(HK dollar) -whole set.
The sound can easy disitinguish !
Thanks !"

As for the upgrades, this is what eddie said:

"Hi!
This upgrade parts is I made it and sell lots of them already !
some one broughts from me and sell it to canada half years ago !
Wu."

Yes there's no stock for the headamp upgrade at the moment, it would not fit into the zhaolu if i go for both power supply and headamp upgrade anyway.

Shipping is $23US by EMS to Singapore, I do not know how much it is to US or other places.

Anyway I will post the pictures of it once it arrives, latest by end of the week i hope
biggrin.gif

Cheers
Daniel

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #36 of 845
holy macaroni, i smell controversy......

i'm still unclear on the different clock upgrades (and it scares my non-technical self ), but i assume there's only one power supply upgrade? if the psu upgrade is the same as lawrence.....

i'm still wondering if lawrence may have his basic model upgraded. his "upgraded" clock is a 2ppm that he mentioned "mark levinson" with (which caught my attention in an email from him). anyway, i'm not sure. i want to email him, but if he's really selling the same basic model for $100 more i'd be a bit embarrased. i think i'll do it anyway, hopefully there's some reason.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #37 of 845
but does direct from manufacturer have all the mods in the unit itself already built, or do you have to do it yourself?

like upgraded power supply etc.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #38 of 845
these are certainly the questions; i just shot lawrence an email, i'll post what he responds.

i just asked him if the $80 one from the manufacturer is the same as his basic $180; we'll see

oh, i see what you're saying: i seriously doubt any of that is DIY

as of right now my forcast says that lawrence's "basic" is already hot-rodded to some extent, but i don't know. dang am i curious for an answer. wake up lawrence
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #39 of 845
Quote:

holy macaroni, i smell controversy......

i'm still unclear on the different clock upgrades (and it scares my non-technical self ), but i assume there's only one power supply upgrade? if the psu upgrade is the same as lawrence.....

i'm still wondering if lawrence may have his basic model upgraded. his "upgraded" clock is a 2ppm that he mentioned "mark levinson" with (which caught my attention in an email from him). anyway, i'm not sure. i want to email him, but if he's really selling the same basic model for $100 more i'd be a bit embarrased. i think i'll do it anyway, hopefully there's some reason.

Hmm... you mean u will get the basic model for $100 more even it's the same? Hmm... well it's your choice, I mean Eddie is the official HK distributor as stated in the Zhaolu website, over in Singapore as far as i know 5 sets have already been ordered from Eddie. All r tested well and fine... Im talking about the stock Zhaolu.

Only I am the guinea pig, ordering the modded set from Eddie :p

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #41 of 845
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
but does direct from manufacturer have all the mods in the unit itself already built, or do you have to do it yourself?

like upgraded power supply etc.

Eddie does the mods if you want it, for a small fee (still cheaper than lawerence's prices), you can choose to DIY for the adventurous ones
biggrin.gif
(im not technically inclined, so I asked eddie to do it for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway over at the Zhaolu official website, there are pictures of the modded headamp (i didnt get as im getting the power supply upgrade)
http://www.zhaolu.com/products/d1.x/big11.htm
How to assemble it:
http://www.zhaolu.com/products/d1.x/big12.htm

Price(in Chinese Yuan) list of the mods(bottom of page):
http://www.zhaolu.com/products/d1.x/1.x/D1.x.htm

For your references

Anyway price competition is good as we consumers win
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers
Daniel

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #42 of 845
Quote:

of course i wouldn't

so eddie is not the manufacturer either? the language-barrier here is definitely an issue (and no i don't mean your post
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Hey pal,

Language barrier?

Eddie can communicate over email in English!
biggrin.gif

eddiewuhk@netvigator.com

http://www.zhaolu.com/net.htm
His company: WAI WAI VALVE CO
154 APLUI ST.1/F SHUM SHUI PO.KOWLOON H.K.
HK Tel no:852-27837612

If you call him it might be faster, because he only responds to email before and after work, so you have to be patient if you wanna correspond with him over email

Cheers
Daniel

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #43 of 845
hey pal, that's great, but what you posted from eddie is far from perfect english, not that i'm complaining but since you brought it up. of course, my chinese isn't so great
smily_headphones1.gif

perhaps it's just my lack of technical understanding; i couldn't follow the different clock choices, or what conclusion he was drawing between them.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #44 of 845
Quote:

hey pal, that's great, but what you posted from eddie is far from perfect english, not that i'm complaining but since you brought it up. of course, my chinese isn't so great
smily_headphones1.gif

Eddie does not speak perfect English but he gets his ideas across
wink.gif

I just wanna highlight the fact that there might be a cheaper alternative for the Zhaolu, so cheapies like me stand to gain
biggrin.gif

Im on the buy-cheap-great-sound side
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #45 of 845
oh man, trust me, i'm on your side in a big way. i'd just like to figure out the answers to all my silly questions. i've got emails shot out to eddie and lawrence, waiting. i've been wanting to learn mandarin for a long time; why not now?
smily_headphones1.gif
of course, that wouldn't turn me into an electrical engineer would it? shucks...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back