Clarity and soundstage... (<$500)
Mar 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dgm

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!

I'm looking to get a new pair of high quality headphones, and was wondering if you could give me some recommendations based on what I'm looking for...

I want to be looking at the under $500 range, preferably. I'm looking for a pair of cans that will give me a really spacious and convincing soundstage. I want it to have good clarity as well, so that I can hear each instrument and the details of their timbres.

In short, I want to feel like I'm really there, in the midst of an audio-landscape.

I did a little research and heard good things about the K701 and DT880 headphones. I heard raving reviews of the K1000s but I'm unfortunately not about to shell out that much...

Any help is appreciated.

Peace

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 25
The k701 are often recommended for what you want,but I'd recommend you to try the other models too(k501 and k601),you might like them better,as I do.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 25
I used to have a pair of K601s, and it had a pretty good soundstage, but it seemed to be lacking some sort of "crispness" of detail that I longed for.

The K701s are said to have more detail in the higher frequencies, which seems attractive...

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 25
With your taste in sound you might like an electrostatic set-up. You can get the Stax 202 system, which includes an amplifier for $600.00 direct from Japan.

Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

The Stax portable system is half that price.

Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

There may be some good buys on the second hand market. Many Stax phones seem to run forever. There are a lot of 30-40 year old models being happily used. But I wouldn't go for the real old stuff.

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 25
As said before if you can stretch your budget $50 or so, you can grab a used pair of w5000. The soundstage and spacious holographic sound are absolutely amazing. The k701's soundstage is good from left to right, but not very much so from front to back in comparison to the w5000. Also, the w5000 is a tad more transparent so it should provide the clarity you are looking for.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 25
I suggest the Stax SR-404.
With your taste of music and preferences they seem like a great choice. Or at least give them a try if you have a local dealer..

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As said before if you can stretch your budget $50 or so, you can grab a used pair of w5000. The soundstage and spacious holographic sound are absolutely amazing. The k701's soundstage is good from left to right, but not very much so from front to back in comparison to the w5000. Also, the w5000 is a tad more transparent so it should provide the clarity you are looking for.

Thanks for the advice man, but I'm a little confused here... in your signature it says that you've sold the "W5000s" but one of your current headphones is the "ATH-W5000s". Is there a difference?

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice man, but I'm a little confused here... in your signature it says that you've sold the "W5000s" but one of your current headphones is the "ATH-W5000s". Is there a difference?

No difference at all. I've owned them twice. I sold them in order to purchase a AKG K1000, but I preferred the W5000, so I sold the K1000 and came back to it.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Another vote for the W5000. They are something special....
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there!

I'm looking to get a new pair of high quality headphones, and was wondering if you could give me some recommendations based on what I'm looking for...

I want to be looking at the under $500 range, preferably. I'm looking for a pair of cans that will give me a really spacious and convincing soundstage. I want it to have good clarity as well, so that I can hear each instrument and the details of their timbres.

In short, I want to feel like I'm really there, in the midst of an audio-landscape.

I did a little research and heard good things about the K701 and DT880 headphones. I heard raving reviews of the K1000s but I'm unfortunately not about to shell out that much...

Any help is appreciated.

Peace

Do you own/will you be getting an amp? How much do you care about bass response? The headphones you mentioned are open, are you okay with sound leakage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back