Feb 8, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Hello,
Some good places to start:

Brahms clarinet sonatas (1 and 2)
Brahms clarinet quintet
Mozart clarinet quintet
Mozart clarinet concerto
Weber clarinet concerto and concertino

These are very standard repertoire, so there are many artists who have recorded these pieces. Some that I like are: Charles Neidich, David Shifrin, Sabine Meyer, Harold Wright. Richard Stoltzmann (sp?) is also excellent, but his tone is very different from most American and European clarinetists.

Lucky me, I'm actually playing the two quinetets (as a violinist). It almost makes me wish I kept playing clarinet. Speaking of which, are there any other wind players on this board? I know there's a couple of other fiddlers.

Walther

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 13
tenor sax right here

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 13
They were excellent, thank you so very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

I played the trumpet in junior high, but that's about it, lol. I'd like to learn how to play the acoustic guitar and clarinet some day.

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm an old clarinet player and unfortunately I rarely pick it up anymore. I had no idea that there were classical works for clarinet! My favorite clarinetist is Don Byron and he brushes up against the classical genre on occasion. He is quite an eclectic and original player. I saw him play one evening with the Verve Jazz Tour several years ago. He could not be contained-excess energy and skill everywhere.

Feb 10, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 13
wChen - thanks again for the tip on Richard Stoltzman, he is brilliant! I love his tone.

I'm going to get Brahms: Clarinet Quintet in Bm Op115 (BMG #68033) as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I went to buy the Clarinet Trio (Sony Classical) at my local Borders. I called prior and they said they didn't have it. Not only did their web site and their computerized index said it was in stock, but they charged me $16.99 when the website/index lists $11.98. What the hell is up with this? I remember when Borders used to be a good store. Now it's just StarBucks type of franchised store, which draws too many people to the store - leads to bad service and prices. I only go there now if they have something that I cannot get anywhere else locally. Also, they don't carry the Brahms Clarinet Quintet (BMG). Bummer. =\

Feb 11, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't know. I pseudo-spent US$200 there the other day, and the cashier was nice enough to point out a US$5 coupon that they had for every US$50 spent. US$20 -- that was like a free CD or two. Happy St. Valentine's Day to me!

Feb 14, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 13
I am a clarinet player, started when I was 5 and have been playing ever since (I am 25). I started playing the soprano sax at 10 and I enjoyed it much more (more lively for that age) and I finally settled on the tenor sax during highschool. In the orchestra I would play first chair clarinet when the clarinet section was truly dominant, but my secret joy was the oboe. Any chance I could get to play it I would jump at it. I still enjoy playing the sax the most, doesn't matter which kind, but the my roots often recall me and I find myself playing some Brahms alone in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back