Clarification
Jan 13, 2006 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fanatic

New Head-Fier
Is it legal to make a copy of a CD for a friend in the US?
It's not for sale, or for distribution to anyone except this friend.
I would be receiving no monetary compensation for said CD.

Thanks!

PS. I've read the Home Recording Act, & DAT's appear to be ok....

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 7
biggrin.gif
I'm not worried about that. I was just having a discussion with a friend over the RIAA lawsuits, etc, and I thought it was ok to copy music & give to a friend as long as it wasn't for profit. He says no you can't do that. I tried google'n it, but can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 7
I always thoght that the most strict interpretiation of the copyright laws was that you could only copy something that was for your own personal use. In the old days that meant that you could tape one of you vinyl albums, so that you (and only you) could listen to it in your car, for example. But, legally/technically speaking, you could not make a casette copy of an LP (or a videotape copy of a movie) and even give it to someone else as a gift (i.e., no money changes hands).

Of course, that rule was as un-enforceable then as it is now, and there is no way to really track how your personal copies of music (either tape or CD) are used.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 7
In the U.S. it's very definitely illegal. You may make copies for your own personal use. Giving it to a friend doesn't count as personal use.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
In the U.S. it's very definitely illegal. You may make copies for your own personal use. Giving it to a friend doesn't count as personal use.

True , In America we cant share anything unless someone (and the govt ) makes money . Its a wonderful place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back