Clarification regarding dac/amp
May 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TaZ82

Head-Fier
Hi there, I have a ipod classic 80G and I am in the market for a pair of IEMs and amplifer.

My question now is whether I need an amplifier with an inbuilt dac or not. By using a lineout dock, I will only be bypassing the ipod's amplifier but not the dac? Will the amp's dac "override" the ipod's?

I hope my question makes some sense.

May 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 13
You don't need an external DAC, the iPod already has a DAC.
People usually use those DACs to process the digital output from a transport (PC soundcard or USB, CDP, etc).

May 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Oh that means I will only need an amp to go with my ipod. That's good news as I can save some money as I can order the Pico that's just the amp.

Just checking to see if my setup is correct.

Portable rig: Ipod classic 80G -> Pico (Amp Only) -> UE TF10 Pro
Computer rig: Asus M51sn -> Keces 151 -> Pico -> DT880

Any comments will be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Yeah I will probably upgrade the amp for my DT880's later on. Just burnt a large crispy hole in my wallet by buying the TF10Pro's and Pico.

What amps pair well with the DT880? I was thinking along the lines of a Meier Opera. Any suggestions?

May 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 13
If I were you I'd get the Pico with DAC anyway, since it's "only" 200 extra, and it's reputedly very good.

May 7, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Mmmm but would I need it? If I can justify the need for another dac then I wouldn't mind spending an extra $200.

What's your take on it? As I see it, only an amp is needed for my ipod and my computer rig already has a dac.

Cheers

May 8, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 13
I don't remember where I read it because I've been doing a ton of research the last couple months and read through a thousand threads by now, but I remember somebody posting that the pico dac sounds better than the keces' (although I don't recall if they were talking 131 or 151). If that's true, it'd make sense to sell the keces and get the pico with dac right?

May 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 13
That makes sense but I am also using the Keces with my Audioengine A5.

Anyway I can change my order to include the dac as Justin hasn't updated the list yet.

I am tossing between the Predator, Pico and iqube but I will be taking a leap of faith. Get the Pico and see how it goes from there.

May 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 13
You don't need an external amplifier with a built in DAC.
Because the iPod don't have a way to bypass its build in DAC, so you won't be able to use the external DAC anyway.

May 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need an external amplifier with a built in DAC.
Because the iPod don't have a way to bypass its build in DAC, so you won't be able to use the external DAC anyway.

I am now thinking how often will I be lugging around my laptop to use the Pico's built in dac...
In my opinion the dac is good to have but not a must have. Let me go flip a coin :x

May 8, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaZ82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm but would I need it? If I can justify the need for another dac then I wouldn't mind spending an extra $200.

What's your take on it? As I see it, only an amp is needed for my ipod and my computer rig already has a dac.

Cheers

You don't need it. Put the extra $200 away and start watching for a good deal on a good used home amp. That will have a much bigger impact than using the dac in a Pico at home instead of your Keces.

Tim

May 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need it. Put the extra $200 away and start watching for a good deal on a good used home amp. That will have a much bigger impact than using the dac in a Pico at home instead of your Keces.

Tim

Ok. So you're saying I should just get the Pico without the dac and save the $200 for a better amp to pair with my Keces?

Thanks for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back