Clapping to recordings.
Sep 20, 2005 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

myself, aka me

1000+ Head-Fier
After fixing my amp (you might remember it, a contraption made out of centimetre thick iron. Great grounding..) I plugged in my ipod and started listening to Stan Getz live in Paris.

A strange thing happened. I found myself clapping with the audience after the first song finished. Tired? Crazy? Maybe I had the volume too high. I understand toe tapping, but hand clapping is new, and it was done entirely unconsciously. Must be the good music coming through!

(weirdo
rolleyes.gif
)

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
After fixing my amp (you might remember it, a contraption made out of centimetre thick iron. Great grounding..) I plugged in my ipod and started listening to Stan Getz live in Paris.

A strange thing happened. I found myself clapping with the audience after the first song finished. Tired? Crazy? Maybe I had the volume too high. I understand toe tapping, but hand clapping is new, and it was done entirely unconsciously. Must be the good music coming through!

(weirdo
rolleyes.gif
)

biggrin.gif
Must be a fantastic music coming through! Done that before, but only clap with the music not with the audience when the song finishes though.... Fascinating indeed!

Overlunge

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Sounds like satisfaction to me. Just don't find yourself doing it in public...

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 14
it's not funny- plenty of folks bang their heads to rock, or conduct to classical - why not clap, or say Whoohoo, or Bravo? it's cool.

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Just be careful not to do it in public, I once laughed rather loudly to a Mitch Hedberg cd I was listening to while on the bus, and I got some very weird looks from the people around me...

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 14
I sometimes find myself clapping with the audience when listening to live recordings of opera. I guess it's just a force of habit from attending so many actual performances.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 14
While on public transit, I've found that by singing along and dancing to the music on my walkman I can make everyone edge away nervously and get myself some personal space.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 14
i find that folks rapping to themselves with cans on in the subway get the same effect, especially when they rap "kill those white motha*****s, put yo shiv in em, dig it in deep" - you hear some interesting things on the subway.

ok, i admit it, that was me rapping.
cool.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 14
I have a bad habit of break dancing in public places (supermarkets are my favourite) and have, on occasions, been known to tap dance whilst listening to music...... It's perfectly normal behaviour, nothing to worry about at all.

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 14
I wasn't going to admit that I carry a flattened cardboard box around everywhere I go, in case feel like taking young MC's advice and busting a move. Or breaking it down for him. But since Pinkfloyd admitted it...

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 14
Humming, singing (badly), toet apping, finger tapping...haven't clapped with songs yet.

I do occasionally get this idiotic grin on my face while using my portables (or listneing to music in general) when I hear something I particularly like. Of course when I used to use IEM's, people would look at me funny and walk around me since they didn't see my phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back