CKS70 vs. S4 vs. C710
Feb 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

PoVarR

New Head-Fier
Sorry for my English, I'm from Russia and not very well know the language.

1) Need a good strong bass, but to avoid blocking other frequencies.
2) The space, volume - apparently it is called stage
3) Do not hush the upper frequencies, without sibilant
4) A good middle, lively and bright

I listen to Trance, NewAge, Alternative. Can you suggest anything else (except better) to $ 100

P.S: I am the owner of FA Eterna - bass in them overrides the other frequencies, not enough life on vocals and live instruments (piano, guitar)

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 18
I'd stay away from the C710. The bass floods the midrange, which in turn falls off a cliff, and the treble is painfully sibilant. Isolation sucks. Image S4 is ok, but the highs are a bit harsh, still not as bad as the denons.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoVarR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Need a good strong bass, but to avoid blocking other frequencies.
2) The space, volume - apparently it is called stage
3) Do not hush the upper frequencies, without sibilant
4) A good middle, lively and bright

Well, that rules out the S4 although many will disagree with me.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 18
Highely recommended JVC FX500 based on your preferences then S4 is better but for soundstage and overall clear sound CKS70 are good too.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highely recommended JVC FX500 based on your preferences then S4 is better but for soundstage and overall clear sound CKS70 are good too.

FX500 cost $ 150 - this is more my budget

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 18
Cks70

1- Very good at bass, maybe over your expectations from such valued thing. But cuts others. Still good overall.
2- Very very good soundstage i think.
3- Yes, it hushes again unfortunately. And little bit sibilance exist, however, not too much for my ears and i dont care about.
4- Simply i like it. Cant give a detailed analyse. But i can assure you that Audio Technica is REALLY not bad in mids-highs at all.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 18
If your bass is overpowering on the Eterna, try Comply tips or Sony Hybrid tips, they help a lot.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd stay away from the C710. The bass floods the midrange, which in turn falls off a cliff, and the treble is painfully sibilant. Isolation sucks. Image S4 is ok, but the highs are a bit harsh, still not as bad as the denons.

With a good amount of burn-in(100+hrs.) and the proper tips(bi flanges), I really enjoyed these phones. No problems with siblance and bass is still big but not nearly as overpowering as when I unboxed them.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enanthate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a good amount of burn-in(100+hrs.) and the proper tips(bi flanges), I really enjoyed these phones. No problems with siblance and bass is still big but not nearly as overpowering as when I unboxed them.

do you find C710 aggressive?

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 18
^^ Yes the frequency response is aggressive. Forward bass, forward mids and forward highs= aggressive (in my book at least)

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enanthate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Yes the frequency response is aggressive. Forward bass, forward mids and forward highs= aggressive (in my book at least)

thanks! how was the over all SQ? do you got/felt fatigue after hours of use?
of you tried to control the aggressiveness via EQ?

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 18
^^ Sound quality is to be expected for the price, just don't expect RE0 micro detail. Haven't experienced any fatigue after burning-in these phones. The fun nature of the C710 actually lets me listen at lower volumes. Lastly, I don't EQ my phones. If the sound signature isn't for me, I avoid them completely.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 18
^ glad to know that Enanthate! so surely you really love the C710
btw how was the isolation? is it good enough going around on noisy busy city?

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ glad to know that Enanthate! so surely you really love the C710
btw how was the isolation? is it good enough going around on noisy busy city?

A good part of that depends on the tip used. With comply foams isolation is very good and about average with silicons. I'm sure a deep inserting tri-flange would work well also.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 18
^ using the bundled silicon tips of the c710 are they good enough?
im already happy with my Pk2's SQ, but the isolation is very poor since its earbuds
thats why i want a new iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back