CKKIII vs Millet Max
Feb 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gautama

1000+ Head-Fier
Debating which to build, can I get some impressions from people who have heard both?

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Debating which to build, can I get some impressions from people who have heard both?

Both CK2III and MH Max are very easy to build and good sounding budget amps and have their own strong and weakness.
CK2III is a very neutral, laid back and well balanced sounding amp whereas the sound of MH MAX can be coloured due to the tubes used in the voltage gain stage, but some people like coloured sound. It's entirely depends on your preference!
For more impression about the CK2III, you can take a look here.

I would love to tell you a bit more but I prefer not to do that since this place is not free from censor (as most of us think it should be).
wink.gif
For the same reason, I have got the feeling that you won't get much reactions on this thread.
However I really hope that more people can help you with their impressions.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 4
Can you elaborate more on the coloration of the Max, I know yours was rather souped up
biggrin.gif

and I remind you, my PM box is not censored
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, indeed it was, I have been tinkering a lot with almost every kind of quality electrolytic capacitors available on the market but ended up with MKP//Teflon capacitors on the output stage (however MKP//K75 PIO is also a very good alternative). That amp is currently on its way to the new owner in Japan.

The only Millett amp I keep at the moment is a 3-channel active ground version, by far the best sounding Millett Hybrid I have ever built, again… lots of tinkering here. The sound improvement (comparing to all other Millett amps I built) is probably due to the lack of the output capacitors, the superior external PS and last but not least: the active ground channel. (MH Max and other previous versions use passive ground only). Regarding the tubes coloration, I will PM you another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back