[CK2III] Volume Stopped Responding - short? Help needed
Dec 25, 2010 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

peppe

Head-Fier

I built a CK2III and it had been working for many months.  Its pretty much the recommended build with different output transistors.

I came home to it the other day not working.  The symptom is: it has what i would describe as full volume in the right channel, no volume in the left, and turning the volume knob is not doing anything.

I had it connected to this docking station for my MP3 player (Zune).  The only thing odd about the dock is it puts out a low level buzz when there is no zune connected.

Normally I turn the volume knob to zero whenever I take the Zune with me.   I think on this occasion I left the volume at a normal level and it may have been amplifying the buzz for a 12+ or so hours.  The box was a lot warmer than normal when i returned, but i don't think dangerously warm.   I never noticed any heat buildup prior to this with just normal listening.

I have no troubleshooting experience, so are there some things I can test with a multimeter to verify functionality or identify a failed component in the chain?

I'm thinking either the alps volume control or maybe that center IC?

Thanks for any input/ideas.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Quote:
full volume in the right channel, no volume in the left, and turning the volume knob is not doing anything.  
alps volume control

yeah.  check the wiring on the pot.

Thanks for the response.  Hoping to get it some time to look at on tuesday. 

Does that symptom strongly point to the volume POT?  

It is in AMB ε27 board, so should i just re-flow the solder on the POT?

Input/output wires are all crimped in molex connectors.  I opened it up briefly and didn't see anything out of place, so think they are still ok.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
full volume in the right channel, no volume in the left, and turning the volume knob is not doing anything.  
alps volume control

yeah.  check the wiring on the pot.

Thanks for the response.  Hoping to get it some time to look at on tuesday. 

Does that symptom strongly point to the volume POT?  

It is in AMB ε27 board, so should i just re-flow the solder on the POT?

Input/output wires are all crimped in molex connectors.  I opened it up briefly and didn't see anything out of place, so think they are still ok.

Yes, I'd suspect the pot first.  Probe the resistances and check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back