CK2III....Thoughts?
Dec 16, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 27
Just got done with my CK2III a week or so back and am really enjoying it. I find it to be damn musical and well balanced. It reflects upstream components and cabling very well, and has a great grip on my HD600/Cardas phones. I like it very much.

/post 800....w00t!

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 27
I've used a MisterX CK2III for most of this year with HD600's, driven by either an 0404 USB or a Marantz SA8001. Previously, I owned a maxed-out Shellbrook desktop PIMETA and an n_maher Millett.

The CK2III is undoubtedly the most refined of any of the amps I've owned, and matches up very well with the HD600's. As to the bass.....for well-recorded classical/acoustical material, it has a very tight and accurate low end; I don't find it lacking in any way. Badly mastered pop material might need a little EQ at times, but the overall accuracy on music that is recorded properly, to me, far outweighs its slightly light character on pop/rock.

I like the size factor of mine....2"H x 9"W x 7"D, all in one box. No external PSU box and extra cord to get in the way.

And yes, it does get a bit warm at times!

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 27
I agree with most posters here. It's amazing what this amp can do and what little attention it seems to draw here. I could go on all day about this amp, wait... I already have, posted a mini-review on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cav...ml#post3498469
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should receive my CK²III sometime this week from MisterX, but I'm wondering what some of you mean by bass light.

Will it do electronic music justice?

I don't think it is bass light, but rather bass becomes tighter. In other words, boomy bass becomes faster and less boomy, so on some material it might seem like the bass volume is reduced very slightly.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 27
The CK²-III is my primary headphone amp and has been for some months now, and electronic music is my main ear candy. I think it sounds great, especially for the electronic music that rewards detail-revealing equipment.

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it is bass light, but rather bass becomes tighter. In other words, boomy bass becomes faster and less boomy, so on some material it might seem like the bass volume is reduced very slightly.

Agreed, that's pretty much what I meant in my previous post.

I think that it's more revealing on properly recorded acoustic music. I judge bass more by depth of extension, not quantity.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #24 of 27
Got my CK²III today

My current rig: laptop optical out>OMZ>CK²III>HD650...

Yeah compared to my previous amp (a Pioneer speaker amp) the CK²III is quite an improvement. Having some issues with the bass (bass guitar to be specific), but it might be the HD650's dark/laid back sound signature that doesn't do bass guitar all that well, or maybe it gets muffled in music with various layers. What you guys think?

Anyhow I'm happy with the CK²III definitely a nice amp and a keeper. I recommend it, specially for those on a budget.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 27
I've been listening to my CK2III for over a week now and I absolutely love it with my Senns! The sound is quite 'neutral' and very detailed and good punch. The bass is in no way light but very tight and detailed. I actually think it outperforms my PPAv2 no matter what op-amp I use although I've been in the 'discreet > op-amps' camp for a while already. There's just something that sounds more correct especially with classical music. Instruments sound very convincing and the room information seems clearer somehow. Definitely good synergy with HD650 and considering the price it is a great bargain!

I actually have two of them since I originally built a balanced one but I didn't feel it was worth it sound quality-wise so I built two separate amps instead and plan to sell of the other.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to my CK2III for over a week now and I absolutely love it with my Senns! The sound is quite 'neutral' and very detailed and good punch. The bass is in no way light but very tight and detailed. I actually think it outperforms my PPAv2 no matter what op-amp I use although I've been in the 'discreet > op-amps' camp for a while already. There's just something that sounds more correct especially with classical music. Instruments sound very convincing and the room information seems clearer somehow. Definitely good synergy with HD650 and considering the price it is a great bargain!

I actually have two of them since I originally built a balanced one but I didn't feel it was worth it sound quality-wise so I built two separate amps instead and plan to sell of the other.

Looks like you have essentially the same setup I do! It's an amazing system, eh? I couldn't agree more that it is ideal for the Senns, it really brings forth the greatness of these phones--a tough feet for ~$150, I hear...

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 27
Very nice amp, absolutely underrated. I am using the toshiba transistors but they are not really bass heavy, but fuller in presentation. Musical and detailed, for some pieces i can even "feel" the depth between the instruments. I can sit for hours with this amp with my MS2.

Sadly I am selling mine off for space for new toys....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back