CK2 III build problem.....
Apr 23, 2007 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive built one for a friend and for some reasons the left channel has some odd problem. It would make really loud crackling sound after awhile (around 1 hour+/- of use). I've checked the bias and had purposely set it below 30mA (around 28mA) in case it was overheating but that wasnt the problem. I also checked the offset when the crack occurs and there was no offset. I also swapped the servo opamp with a 2227 and it didnt make a difference. What could be the problem? Im wondering if the BD139/140 on that channel maybe bad...

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 14
If it works ok cold and then makes noise after some use, then most likely there is a transistor with a thermal-related problem. There are special purpose cooling sprays used for debugging electronic problems of this nature. Reproduce the problem, then chill each transistor, one at a time, to see if you could get the problem to go away. That would help you isolate the faulty device.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 14
if you want to pick something up near you, i've used the electronic duster cans, and spraying them while holding them upsidedown

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 14
any chance of the goo shorting the parts when freezing them? these stuff are not really cheap, I can almsot change a whole set of transistors for the price of a single can
blink.gif

it seems the problem is getting more prominent. it now cracks without needing to warm up. I'm hoping that the bad transistor quickly dies off so that i can start measuring them....they seem to measure fine despite having the problem...
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any chance of the goo shorting the parts when freezing them? these stuff are not really cheap, I can almsot change a whole set of transistors for the price of a single can
blink.gif

The spray is non-conductive and evaporates completely.

Replacing all transistors is brute-force, but certainly an option considering the cost. The downside is more work desoldering and resoldering a bunch of parts, and the possibility of PCB damage.

Quote:

it seems the problem is getting more prominent. it now cracks without needing to warm up. I'm hoping that the bad transistor quickly dies off so that i can start measuring them....they seem to measure fine despite having the problem...
frown.gif

A noisy transistor may not ever measure "bad" as far as DC operating points are concerned.

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure abt the actual situation though as it was my frd who is helping me out with it. But what i have read, i think he lowered the mv to about 4.5. Will that affect the sound in anyway.

Yes, that's one third the recommended bias, which means that the output stage will easily fall into class AB.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can i check with you whats the minimum Mv to reach class A.

"Class A" is load-dependent. Basically, with a push-pull output topology like the CK²III, the output stage quiescent current must be at least one half the peak output current in order to remain in class A. Let's assume a 32Ω load and you want to deliver 100mW of peak power. Then calculate the peak output current: P = I² * R, (P is power, I is current, R is impedance), solving for I gives I = √(P / R) = 56mA, so if the output stage quiescent current is 28mA it will remain in class A up to that output power level. The default recommendation is 30mA, pretty close to that. When the volume is increased beyond that, then the amp will operate in class AB until the maximum voltage swing is reached (at which point the amp will begin to clip).

The default quiescent current of 30mA causes about 14mV drop on the 0.47Ω output resistors (simple Ohm's Law V = I * R).

The calculation above assumes a resistive load. Real "32Ω" headphones may have an impedance curve that drop below that at certain frequencies, so the current demand would be higher than what we assume.

Using the above example you can calculate what it takes to remain in class A. Obviously, the higher the quiescent current, the more "deeply" into class A the amp runs and less likely to drop out of class A from various load conditions, but then the output transistors will run hotter, requiring heatsinking.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 14
Btw the support thread for this amp is here, please use that instead of this thread so it would be easier for others with similar questions to find it.

The bias adjustment should be done is small incremental steps, because the output transistors are BJTs which have positive temperature coefficient. This allows the transistors to warm up and settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back