CK²III static issues - not a new build
Nov 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
What seems like forever ago (over two years) I built a CK²III and it worked perfectly first time. I used it for 6 months or so then didn't for 8 months and have been using it near daily since then. As time wears on I am increasingly noticing static first quietly then louder in one channel - it doesn't change volume using the volume knob so it's definitely the amp. If I physically jolt the amp by lifting the front an inch and dropping it a couple of times this temporarily solves the problem - sometimes for hours, sometimes only for a couple of minutes. It's happening more than once every session now so I need to fix it, but how can a solid state device react in any way to jolting? Has some component failed?

Any thoughts much appreciated, hopefully I'll not have to buy another multimeter but if needs must...

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello, a very similar thing happened to me a few years ago on a CMoy housed in a metal case - one of the feedback resistors was just touching the case resulting in sporadic noise. Even if it's not a resistor it may be worth looking over the circuit, checking the sockets for the amps/reseating the amps just to be sure. Good luck!

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks MrTom - I've just opened it up and all looks well, but there was a small piece of wire floating around under the PCB. Not sure how this could move around when the amp is sat on a desk but 10 mins after switching it back on and still no static... Hopefully that's all it was!

I really should make a proper faceplate so there aren't holes for this to happen again. That little wire could have shorted anything :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back