CK²III - good for AKG k340?
May 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
I have just received a pair of AKG K340's, plugged them in to my CK²III and they sound great. The only "problem" I have is that while waiting for them to arrive I read that they need a powerful amp, stumbled on a cheap Heed Canamp on ebay and bought it (should arrive tomorrow!)

it's supposedly BNIB so if I don't need it it's best left unopened, but just thought I'd ask if the CK²III is on paper a good match for the K340's? It's a standard build with a gain of 4.1 and a 10k stepped attenuator, designed with Grado's in mind... the AKG's need nearly full volume, but it doesn't sound like the amp is struggling. I've searched everywhere but can't find any mention of anyone trying this combo but surely I'm not the first?

If the CK²III is a bad match there will be a pair of Grado's FS very soon - the AKG's are more to my liking, and if that's on a badly matched amp they can only get better
biggrin.gif

Thanks for any thoughts on this, I'll hold out opening the Canamp as long as possible!

May 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 3
suicidal_orange:
I had a chance to enjoy the K340s at a meet and I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable pairs of headphones I've had a chance to listen to. Especially at its price point.

There also happened to be a CK2III tailored toward Grados there and I gave it an extensive listen with the K340s. While the amp will drive it to adequate levels, it is far from great. The same phones on the Zana Deux had astonishingly improved imaging, impact and decay. They also sounded great, albeit with a brighter signature on the GSX. The most inexpensive amp there that seemed to drive it relatively well was the TTVJ FET-A. Maybe you could still try to get in on that introductory offer.

May 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks falkon - guess I should unpack the Canamp ASAP and start the burn in. From the very long thread on it it sounds like it should do them justice - it's great with Senns and K701's. Much as the TTVJ might be better I'm in the UK so the price goes up 25% +$25 due to import tax, not to mention shipping costs and waiting a week - it's just not practical. ~$300 for a new Canamp was too good to pass up anyway, if it will be an upgrade and sounds like it will!

Glad I'm not alone thinking the CK²III wasn't bad though - you could "suffer" an extensive listen with one too
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to hear what these sound like from a better matched amp - last night was a late one without
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back