Citypulse DA2.03e
Aug 19, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard varying opinions on the headphone out on this dac. From what I can gather, you'll definitely want to buy the citypulse with the upgraded TCXO clock. The general consensus of the built-in headamp from what I've read is that the volume pot could be better, but the rest is pretty solid. I've never actually heard the Citypulse though so you might want to take this with a grain of salt.

Also, the majority of what I've read has been on the 7.2x. It's supposedly the same dac without USB but with XLR outputs.

Personally, I'd go with the 7.2x and buy a sound card with a digital out with the money I saved over the 2.03e.

because someone is going over to hk to do some mass ordering.

that means this at most cost 300 US dollars.

k1000smile.gif

so guess i will get the 2.03e cause i need the usb input

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my citypulse

but got one big problem

the ASIO4ALL do not work
blink.gif

anyone can help

Does Citypulse even show up as a USB Audio device on ASIO4ALL window? What exactly doesn't work?

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Citypulse even show up as a USB Audio device on ASIO4ALL window? What exactly doesn't work?

it show as the usb audio codec

then the in is running but the out is not

then foobar also cannot detect it for the asio plugin

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it show as the usb audio codec

then the in is running but the out is not

then foobar also cannot detect it for the asio plugin

You mean in the ASIO4ALL window, the IN is running but the OUT is not? Reverse it, disable the IN and enable the OUT.

May 26, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 44
Reviving this thread to solicit more recent opinions/reviews, and also to inquire about differences in the DA2.03e Version II.

Sasha at Obad Imports told me that this version includes upgraded TXCO clock, perhaps that is what is meant by version II. But I wonder if the USB function is still deficient?

Any other thoughts on this DAC compared to other USB DACs in its price range?

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #39 of 44
I tried a CityPulse 2.03eII, and found the headphone amp to be surprisingly good. However, the variable analog output (connected directly to a power amp) had harsh treble, even after burn in. No way I could live with it long term as a source for a speaker system. Too bad, because it's way cheaper than other products with similar feature sets, such as the Benchmark DAC1 Pre.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #40 of 44
According to the various pictures I saw of the 2.03e and 7.2, the headphone amp section apears to be different. However, the technical spec seems to be better on the 2.03e.

I wonder if the price difference between them reflect a difference in sound quality.

I also wonder if I should buy a ASIO suported usb soundcard or go with the 2.03e. Damn, so much choices to make !!!

P.S.: I found a HongKong website that sell the Citypulse brand and all kind of "exotic" cables. Buyoyo.com - The Largest Supplier of Chinese Entertainment products in the world !

The menu is below the pub, on the left.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried a CityPulse 2.03eII, and found the headphone amp to be surprisingly good. However, the variable analog output (connected directly to a power amp) had harsh treble, even after burn in. No way I could live with it long term as a source for a speaker system. Too bad, because it's way cheaper than other products with similar feature sets, such as the Benchmark DAC1 Pre.

Sorry to hear about this. The 2.03eII was starting to look pretty good to me. But speaker playback is critical, this would be used in my main living room system.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck USB DAC that 1) includes a headphone amp, 2) includes the capability to hook up a laptop/external hardrive and 2 CDPs. I thought this was the one!

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #42 of 44
Bostonears was talking about the variable output, controled by the front volume knob, riverrat. You can still use the fixed output, if you have an integrated amp (with volume control).

No news about ASIO support ? Anyone ?

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bostonears was talking about the variable output, controled by the front volume knob, riverrat. You can still use the fixed output, if you have an integrated amp (with volume control).

That's correct. My experience was only with the variable output. I suspect the sound quality of the fixed output would be better because it bypasses a bunch of analog circuitry, but I didn't have an integrated amp to try it with.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #44 of 44
Thank you for the clarification noxlord.

I'm pretty new to this computer-based stuff. Head.fi is apparently focused, or at least it was originally, on headphone based systems. But in my limited experience it is also a primary resource for expertise regarding most aspects of digital audio.

Anyway, my system is as follows:

Completely recapped (69 new caps!) vintage Sansui AU-D11 Mk II integrated amp. 130 wpc. Suggested retail was $1000 in 1984, a real vintage gem.

Sony DVP-S9000 ES. Using this as a CDP, also plays SACD. Retailed for $1500 circa 2000, obsolete for DVD playback now, incredible build quality and very good sonically - CD playback can be completely separated from all DVD circuitry - but not state of the art these days. Plan is to use it as a transport only with a USB DAC.

Sony SCD-222 ES CD changer. For parties. I can see this unit getting phased out once I get my PC music server setup in place.

Totem Sttaf speakers. (High WAF, allowed placement in main living area.)

Two very fine tuners, total overkill for my available source material: Kenwood L-O1T and Marantz Model 20.

Oh yeah and my headphones! Grado SR80s. Mainly used in office set-up, which consists of:

Sansui B-2102 power amp 200 wpc, probably enough juice for headphone listening, even with my deafness level. Got the amp basically for free.
Yamaha C-4 preamp ($70).
DIYEDEN SVDC04-U USB DAC bought used here on head.fi- my first and only exposure to PC-based music. Sounding pretty good now that I have ASIO apparently working via Foobar2000. (Thank you head.fi)

So there you have it. Still eyeing the Citypulse to integrate my old with the new style main system. But I move slowly on decisions like this. Got my 1200+ CD collection ripped as FLACs so I am poised...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back