Circumaural user here, what do I need to look for in an IEM for more portable use? Anything comperable to something like an HD650?
May 28, 2015 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
IEM's have never really been my thing but lately certain neighbors have been driving me crazy with car stereo bass. I know noise cancelling headphones don't really block non droning sounds and not bass sounds, so I'm thinking some good IEM's might help me enjoy music without hearing someone elses bass superimposed on the track.

The only IEM's i've really used are some skullcandy Inkd which I think sound surprisingly neutral for the price but nothing special about their sound. Im looking for something that might sound more like an HD650, very musical, good low end but not bass boosted and drowning out the mids and highs.

Is it worth it to look into multi driver IEM's or is it more important to get custom fitted iem's? On the low end in the <$200 range they don't seem to use multiple drivers and they come with the normal silicon or memory foam pieces, are these the same cheap, ill fitting, fittings I've seen in samsung galaxy IEM's and Skullcandies, or are they better?

I'm not really looking for recommendations so much as, what should I be looking for to get a circumaural experience in an IEM and which bits are more important, the number of drivers, the quality of the seal and custom pads, or the brand or quality of the drivers.

Is something like a $100 shure going to be that much better than Inkd? Are $300 Sennheisers going to be pretty comperable to HD650 quality?

Also, 500th post. Booya.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 2
No replies. Well I ended up going with the DUNU 1000's and so far I'm pretty happy. I am not used to IEM's at all so it will take some time for my ears to adjust before I can give them a good rating. For now they sound good enough, and different, enough to pull me away from my circumaural 650's and HE400. On some songs they sound a little bloated, not as clear, on other songs the articulation blows me away. There is a little resonance at 8khz that scratches my ears on some songs and I cut 125 and 250 by 1dbu and they started to open up more. Are they worth twice the cost of Shure's entry level IEM's, not sure yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back