Circumaural Headphones for Rock/Metal/Electronic and Gaming
Dec 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nater43

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I currently own a pair of Superlux 681's that I use with my PC through a Xonar DG. I'm looking to upgrade them to something better, if there is a worthwhile option in my price range. As the title suggests, the usage that these would be getting is all over the place, and I accept that corners will have to be cut somewhere. These will not need to be portable, as I will just be using them at my desk. I also do not have a preference of open or closed. 

So far I have considered the following options and will list my opinion on them from what I've gathered:

ATH M50: Bass heavy. Good for music, not so much for games. Lack a decent soundstage. 
ATH AD700X: Great soundstage. Weak bass, but otherwise are good.
Deyerdynamic DT990 250Ohm Pro: Lots of bass, need amplification? Perhaps more than my Xonar DG can provide.

I'm very open to other opinions and suggestions, these are just things I've looked at so far. I'm looking to stay under $150 if at all possible. What do you think would be the best option available to me for my specified usage?

Thanks for your help. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Frankly the HD681 EVO walks over the M50/AD700X in my opinion (I have a white pair, they're quite a high performing headphone, regardless of cost).

At the $150 range, I'm going to say that you're not going to get higher quality sound. You will get higher quality build and features. But the audio quality is going to be very minimal in change at this cost range.

Do you want to maintain the bassiness of the HD681? Or do you want something more neutral? At this range, closed headphones are pretty much it. And if you're willing to get used/refurb, you may have options.

Very best,

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 3
  Heya,

Frankly the HD681 EVO walks over the M50/AD700X in my opinion (I have a white pair, they're quite a high performing headphone, regardless of cost).

At the $150 range, I'm going to say that you're not going to get higher quality sound. You will get higher quality build and features. But the audio quality is going to be very minimal in change at this cost range.

Do you want to maintain the bassiness of the HD681? Or do you want something more neutral? At this range, closed headphones are pretty much it. And if you're willing to get used/refurb, you may have options.

Very best,

I am willing to consider refurb/used headphones. I was kind of already feeling that I wouldn't be able to beat the 681's at this price range. Are the mods to the 681's worthwhile? From what I've read, they do quite a bit to improve the sound quality. I do like the bass that the 681's bring to the table. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back