Circumaural Headphone Advice
Jan 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chris153

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to invest <200$ in quality over-ear headphones. At work I use Sennheiser HD280s and I enjoy the quality on those and the fact that the cord is only on one side, but I'm looking for something with one more feature: apple 3-button controls. I also like open-back designs and detachable cords, but those aren't necessary. I know I don't want Beats. I'll primarily be using these with an iPhone  and MacBook and I don't want to buy an amp. I listen to primarily to blues and rock (Muddy Waters, Seasick Steve, Black Keys, White Stripes), so I appreciate bass but wouldn't want it do dominate. I also like to tune out the world when I get work done, so I'd like some isolation - passive noise cancelation. I do work for hours at a time though, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort.

Some models I like:
Audio Technica ATH A700
incase sonic
Nixon RPM
AIAIAI TMA-1

The A700s don't have the detachable cord I'm looking for and I've heard incase's audio products aren't very durable. I've heard Nixon is uncomfortable and AIAIAI might need an amp, which would put it out of price-range. A friend of mine has v-moda's Crossfade but my ear is slightly too low on one side for those. 

I know I have to make compromises, but I like to research big purchases. Perhaps something middle of the road would be best. With a detachable cord, I could use iLUV's extender instead of inline 3-button controls, but I would need to find a male-male 3.5mm adaptor. Do those exist?

Any thoughts?? Thanks for any advice you can give. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you thought of IEMs (in-ears)? They wouldn't need amping, are the best isolation you can get from personal audio, and many models come stock with iPod and iPhone controls (Klipsch and UE, I believe, have such models).

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 5
If you have your heart set on over-ears, Ultrazino just posted a very nice review of the Philips Fidelio L1, a semi-open headphone that has the full iPhone buttons and mic.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
If you have your heart set on over-ears, Ultrazino just posted a very nice review of the Philips Fidelio L1, a semi-open headphone that has the full iPhone buttons and mic.

Unfortunately, I didn't see this until after I bought Brainwavz HM5s. Comparing prices, the iphone controls might not have been worth the additional money, but thanks for your advice all the same.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I'm looking to invest <200$ in quality over-ear headphones. At work I use Sennheiser HD280s and I enjoy the quality on those and the fact that the cord is only on one side, but I'm looking for something with one more feature: apple 3-button controls. I also like open-back designs and detachable cords, but those aren't necessary. I know I don't want Beats. I'll primarily be using these with an iPhone  and MacBook and I don't want to buy an amp. I listen to primarily to blues and rock (Muddy Waters, Seasick Steve, Black Keys, White Stripes), so I appreciate bass but wouldn't want it do dominate. I also like to tune out the world when I get work done, so I'd like some isolation - passive noise cancelation. I do work for hours at a time though, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort.

Some models I like:
Audio Technica ATH A700
incase sonic
Nixon RPM
AIAIAI TMA-1

The A700s don't have the detachable cord I'm looking for and I've heard incase's audio products aren't very durable. I've heard Nixon is uncomfortable and AIAIAI might need an amp, which would put it out of price-range. A friend of mine has v-moda's Crossfade but my ear is slightly too low on one side for those. 

I know I have to make compromises, but I like to research big purchases. Perhaps something middle of the road would be best. With a detachable cord, I could use iLUV's extender instead of inline 3-button controls, but I would need to find a male-male 3.5mm adaptor. Do those exist?

Any thoughts?? Thanks for any advice you can give. 

Save up a little more and the perfect headphone for you would be the AKG K550.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back