Circumaural Closed Suggestions $180-250
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MooTaters

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my ATH-M50's for quite some time now, and this past summer the sweat caused by the pleather pads got quite obnoxious at times.  I know I can get cloth pads or do mods, but I'm also just looking to get into a new pair of cans, gain more experience...and maybe have a slight upgrade.

I have 3 main requirements, 1) They are closed cans, I'm planning to use them in the summer, in which I always have a fan on because my west facing room with a gaming PC gets very hot.  2) Some form of cloth pads, pleather/leather leads to sweating, and cloth pads should help prevent this.  3) They be full circumaural headphones, for reference my M50's do fit, though at times I feel like just barely.

Other things to consider:
These don't need to be special for gaming, while I like gaming a lot, I'm not so obsessed that this need be the main concern.  I do like the sound of the M50's, I don't think I'd mind a different sound signature, but I also feel like I wouldn't like something that's bass-lite.  That said I don't think I'd like something similar to the older tire(earpad) version of the Sony XB series(only briefly heard them in stores). 

One thing I want to make sure of is that the treble isn't piercing or harsh.  My only decent example is that sometimes I've found the guitar solo in Daft Punk's Aerodynamic to be rather harsh, like sandpaper to the ears almost(maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but those are some harsh sounding highs to me).

TLDR(below): I listen to many forms of music, these headphones don't need to be tailored specifically for the music, but so often people ask for what we listen to, so I included it.
Lately I've listened to a lot of EDM/electronica style music.  I guess I like house and trance, I'm not very well versed in the genres of electronic music(don't like dubstep though).  I do however listen to a lot of other forms of music, from classic rock, to hard rock/metal/industrial metal for example, Disturbed, Static-x, Rammstein.  I also have a lot of random stuff, like Gorillaz, Ozric Tentacles, That1Guy, the many forms of Les Claypool(Primus, Frog Brigade, etc.), Ronald Jenkees(kind of fits in electronic music though)....basically saying I guess I'd prefer a decent all arounder maybe?...I mean I don't think I'll ever have a headphone specially for music x y or z, and if it doesn't perform epicly for music z I'm not going to die or anything.

Headphones I've considered(not a big list I know, that's why I'm asking head-fi):
DT770 Pro 80 or 250ohm

Before I decided I wanted something with cloth pads I had been drooling over MrSpeaker's Mad Dogs.  I don't know if there's any cloth pads that fit the T50RP's and how that affects it's sound.  I'd rather not go that high of a price tag, but it is a pair that I've kind of dreamed of having too....and I could afford it, but would rather consider cheaper options first.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 5
The Mad Dogs use lambskin leather earpads with very thick and cushy foam. That's a completely different situation than the typical pleather pads. However, they will still get very hot and sweaty. The Shure 440/840 pads will fit on the TRP50. I'm not sure, but I think these also fit: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1440-Replacement-SRH1440-Headphones/dp/B007Q0POM6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also maybe these: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones-black

I think the DT770 is the obvious choice. Other options might include the Shure SRH840 w/ replacement velour earpads, but they probably won't have enough bass for you.

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 5
Just came back to say, got the DT770 250ohm's and loving them.  Out of the box the highs are kind of sharp/harsh, but not bad enough for me for most things.  Loving the bass impact, tighter than the M50's ever felt that I can recall, and makes music, movies and games like BF4 a lot more fun...feeling the gunshots and explosions is rather interesting.  Granted my M50's are 2+ years old, not anywhere near as high of clamping force as when I got them, and probably not as good of a seal either.  Could also be the isolation on these things is so much better, they seem a fair amount more articulate...but again when you don't have other noises getting in the way a lot more should be heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back